* Phone users: click on "SECTION MENU" to see the postings*
Summer 2024 postings will be available January, 2024. Please refer to our "Find your Own" page.
Deadline for Summer 2024: February 11, 2024. 11:59 pm
The internships listed are offered by host organizations in partnership with the Arts Internship Office (AIO). The AIO builds relationships with host organizations to offer internship opportunities to Faculty of Arts students, and acts as a liaison between students and these organizations to facilitate in the selection of summer interns.
Host organizations are ultimately responsible for selecting their interns, while students are responsible for preparing for and successfully completing the internship.
How to Apply for an AIO Internship Posting
The application is an online form (linked below). You will be asked to sign in with your McGill email and password. Please make sure that you are eligible to apply for the position before you start the application.
- Review all the opportunities for summer internships on our website.
- Carefully read the detailed PDF posting for each internship and its requirements.
- Talk to one of our advisors if you have any questions about the positions before applying (see our Contact page for drop-in hours).
Any questions should addressed to the Arts Internship Office, not the host organizations.
- Prepare the material for your application (see "What to Prepare" below)
- If you plan on applying for one of the internship posting outside of Canada, the Pre-Departure Orientation should be completed BEFORE and the certificate of completion must be submitted with your application. More information on our Travel page.
- Complete the following AIO application form before the deadline (February 11, 2024): AIO Internship Application Form
- You may apply for three internships maximum. Please note that your preference ranking matters. We will consider your applications accordingly.
If you are applying for more than one internship: Please submit a targeted joint CV and cover letter for each internship you are applying for (eg.JohnDoe_Internship) containing both CV/Cover Letter in one PDF document
- Requirements. Please note that certain positions have citizenship requirements and/or require security clearance - these details can be found in the posting's PDF file. Please come to our office to learn more about these requirements.
- Awards. The Arts Internship Office internships are automatically funded (see the award amount on the PDF posting). If you are selected for the internship, you do not need to submit an Award application.
- Application Timeline. We will get back to you shortly after the deadline if you are selected for an interview. Normally, you will be notified by the end of February. The Arts Internship Office will then transmit the selected applications to the host organization, which will ultimately be responsible for the selection of the candidate(s).
Students who do not receive offers will be notified on a rolling basis as decisions are made.
- Formal Acceptance of an Internship. Once the host organization have made a final decision, the Arts Internship Office will send an offer to the student. The student will have 3 days to make a decision. We understand that 3 days is not a lot of time to make a decision, especially if you are waiting to hear about other offers. As much as we would like to be able to give everyone more time, we cannot allow individuals to hold an offer for an extended period of time, as this is not fair to the other students who are also waiting to hear about the same position. If this situation arises for you, please let us know if there is any additional information we can provide that will make your decision easier, and we will do our best to help.
Please reach us if you have any questions aio [at] mcgill.ca.
- Your personal and academic info
- Unofficial transcript uploaded as a PDF or JPG, named in the format "lastname.firstname_transcript". (On Minerva, select the "View Your Unofficial Transcript" page, then Print and Save as PDF)
- Targeted CV and cover letter* for each internship you are applying for (eg.JohnDoe_InternshipX) containing both CV/Cover Letter in one PDF document.
- Availability for the internship.
- If you apply to one of the internships outside of Canada, you will be required to complete the Pre-Departure Orientation and download the certificate of completion in your application. Please refer to the "Pre-Departure Orientation" page. We recommend completing Pre-departure 3-6 months prior to departure for your international activity.
- Read the Global Affairs Canada Travel Advisories for the countries where you hope to intern.
- Consent for the Arts Internship Office to share the application materials with the McGill Selection Committee and the host organization. (Host organizations are ultimately responsible for selecting their interns.)
- Review the requirements for selected candidates as detailed in the Arts Interns Handbook.
*CaPS CV and Cover Letter Guides
The following comprehensive guides have been developed by CaPS to help you during the internship search process. You are encouraged to consult them as you write your CV or cover letter, prepare for an interview, job fairs. Click here for guides on CV, cover letters, interviews and more. To book an appointment with CaPS to review your CV and cover letter, visit their website.