Humanities and Social Sciences Library
McLennan Library Building
3459 McTavish Street
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0C9
- Art History
- Rare Books and Special Collections
Supports teaching, learning, research and outreach activities in Rare Books and Special Collections and as the liaison librarian for the Department of Art History and for the School of Architecture. Responsible for the John Bland Canadian Architecture Collection.
- Master of Library and Information Studies, McGill University, 2007
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Nova Scotia College of Art & Design [NSCAD University], 2001
Areas of Interest
- Architectural archives
- Special collections
- Visual resources
- Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA)
- Canadian Liaison, Executive Board (2016-2018)
- Chair, Melva Dwyer Award Committee (2016-2018)
- Strategic Planning Commitee (2011-2015)
- President, Montreal/Ottawa/Quebec Chapter (2013)
- Bibliographical Society of Canada
- James McGill Society: Council member (2015-2016)
- McGill Association of University Teachers - Librarians' Section (MAUT-LS): Secretary/Treasurer (2013-2016)
- McGill Heritage Advisory Committee
- McGill Library Nominating Committee (2015-2017)
- Michelle Gauthier Professional Development Award, ARLIS/NA MOQ, 2010
Selected Publications and Presentations
Jennings, M., Garland, J., Severson, S. and D. Tkach (2015). "Wayfinding in complex architectural collections: A collaborative approach between creator and curator." Archiving Conference Proceedings (Society for Imaging Science and Technology).
Garland, J. (2014). "Locating traces of hidden visual culture in rare books and special collections: A case study in visual literacy." Art Documentation, 33(2).
Garland, J. (2014). “Lawrence Lande Blake Collection” and “Max Stern Collection” and (with A. Holland) “John Bland Canadian Architecture Collection.” In: Meetings with Books: Symposium on Special Collections in the 21st Century. With a tribute to Raymond Klibansky & an illustrated survey of McGill Library Special Collections. Edited by Jillian Tomm and Richard Virr. A publication of McGill University Library.
Garland, J., Huising, R. and J. Struben (2013). “What if technology worked in harmony with nature?” Imagining climate change through Prius advertisements.” Organization, 20(5): 679-704.
“Anatomy Theaters, Legal Dramas, and Landscape Staging: Unexpected Performances in Special Collections. A. Dysert, J. Garland and S. Kochkina. ACRL Rare Books and Manuscripts Section Preconference, Minneapolis, MN, June 26, 2013.
“Curating Print Collections in the Digital Age.” J. Garland and S. Swanick. IFLA General Conference and Assembly, Rare Books and Manuscripts Section, Helsinki, Finland, August 13, 2012.
“Lacquer Illustrated Bindings: Syncretic Elements of Painting and Writing.” J. Garland and S. Swanick. 38th Saint Louis Conference on Manuscript Studies, Saint Louis, MI, October, 14, 2011.
Cooke, N., and J. Garland (2008) “Putting Questions to Images: The Chatelaine Project.” Visual Resources Association Bulletin, 35(2): 86-93.
“Ladies, Housewives, Soldiers and Seductresses: Four Stages in the Development of Magazine Advertising Techniques in North America 1900-1950.” J. Garland and N. Cooke. Women’s Magazines, New Women and the Reconfiguration of Genres Conference, Heidelberg University, Germany, April 30, 2007.
Rare Books and Special Collections Blog (contributor)
Instagram @McGill_Rare (contributor)