Study Away refers to an academic activity where students independently pursue courses at a host institution and receive credits from the home university. Students apply to the host institution directly, paying their fees and following their deadlines.
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be a registered BCom student in the current academic year
- Have a CGPA of at least:
- 2.70 for study in the fall or winter terms
- 2.00 for study in the summer term
Study Away Application Process
Please note that an online Approval Form for Study Away Transfer Credits is now available through your MINERVA portal. The BCom Office is currently working on ways to ensure that your online experience is effective and efficient. To this end, this website will be updated regularly. You may contact the BCom Office with any questions at: Studentexchange [dot] Mgmt [at] mcgill [dot] ca
The following is a list of steps that you must follow in order to ensure that your application is processed as efficiently as possible.
Complete the Request for Study Away which can be found in the Exchange/Study Away menu on MINERVA.
Pick your desired host institution from the list of schools. If your host institution does not appear on the pick list of schools, send an email to Studentexchange [dot] mgmt [at] mcgill [dot] ca. If the institution is approved, it will become available on the pick list and you can then complete the application process.
Complete the Approval of Courses and Transfer Credits form, which can be found in the Exchange/Study Away menu on MINERVA. This form requires that you provide URLs for all course outlines. If you are unable to do this, but have received the course outlines as an email or attachment, you must attach them to your email in Step 3.
Use the email template provided in the Approval of Courses and Transfer Credits form to notify the BCom Office Studentexchange [dot] mgmt [at] mcgill [dot] ca that your application has been completed.
Please note the following:
- If you choose courses outside the Faculty of Management, which count as part of a Minor/Minor Concentration, you will need to email the appropriate Department at McGill to inform them that you have completed the Approval Form in order to have the courses relevant to their department approved. The same email template may be used as in Step 3. This also applies to Language courses for students in the Major in International Management.
- Please allow 5 to 7 business days for approvals.
- Statements of Purpose are required for Study Away in the fall and winter terms.
- Your application generates a generic email notifying you of the next steps in the process. The BCom Office makes all final decisions regarding course approvals.
- Once all approvals are completed, a letter of permission will be generated. Please retain this letter since the information it contains may be required by the host institution.
- You are responsible to have the host institution provide your home university with a copy of your Official Transcript of grades from your Study Away.
- If you decide not to do your Study Away, you must inform the BCom Office in writing.
BCom students can take courses through the Quebec university network. One must apply through the CREPUQ website - approval or refusal is granted by the BCom Office. It is imperative that an explanation be given as to why the course must be done through another institution.
General information concerning the Inter-University Transfer agreement (IUT) can be found here.
For students from our sister Quebec universities wishing to do McGill courses, general information can be found here.
Please note that many courses require pre-requisites. On your application, please list any courses taken which you would ask to consider as appropriate and equivalent to what is required.
Applications can be made on the CREPUQ website.
IUT Application Deadlines
- April 1st for Summer courses
- August 1st for Fall Semester courses
- December 1st for Winter Semester courses