McGill Law students and recent alumni are encouraged to take full advantage of the services and programs offered at the CDO. This website lists the many services, programs and job search tools available.
- The Career Resource Centre
- Résumé Clinics and Individual Résumé Review
- Mock Interview Program
- Individual Counselling for Job Searches
- Mentor Program (offered through CaPS)
If you have trouble obtaining information or want to book an appointment with the CDO, placement [dot] law [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email us).
McGill's Career Planning Services (CaPS)
CaPS serves all McGill students in their career development and search for permanent, part-time and summer jobs, as well as internships, by providing workshops, individual advising, a comprehensive job posting service, and an extensive Career Resource Centre.
A successful job search starts with a good knowledge of yourself, your needs, your dreams and goals.
- What are your strengths, weaknesses, values and principles?
- What interests and experiences do you have?
- What are your skills and achievements?
- What competencies do you have that you would like to continue working with?
- What competencies would you like to develop?
- What would your ideal job description be?
Thinking about these questions is at heart of doing a self-assessment, the first step of a successful job search. It will also greatly benefit the process of visualizing your dream job. The clearer you are about what you like and dislike, what inspires and motivates you to work and what makes you tick, the easier finding a job that matches your personality and aspirations will be.
McGill Career Planning Services CaPS can assist you in thinking about these questions. You may also take personality, interests and skills tests such as the Myers-Briggs and the STRONG Interest Inventory tests, to deepen your understanding of yourself. You can book a counseling appointment at 514-398-3304 and visit the CAPS website for more information at CaPS.
You may also visit the following sites for more personality tests:
The CDO can help you more easily with your research, the process of applying and preparing for interviews once you know who are you, what skills you enjoy using and what your ideal job is.