2016 was a big year for WMS improvements! By the close of the year, WMS sites sported a notably different look and feel. Additionally, new tools such as McGill Profiles, and the new template blocks introduced enhanced functionality improving McGill’s web experience for both visitors, and web managers and editors alike.
Check out our picks for the top 10 WMS updates released in 2016 and weigh in on your favourite updates in the comments below.
1. New site header, December 2016
The revamped WMS header, released at the tail end of 2016, will pave the way for some exciting new template enhancements, including wider web pages.
2. Revised vertical menu, August 2016
The vertical menus refresh features a cleaner, lighter and easier-to-navigate design.
3. McGill Profiles, July 2016
Launched in early spring 2016, McGill Profiles makes it easy for site managers to present attractively formatted, easy-to-navigate biographical information to site visitors.
4. Technical milestones, 2016
Throughout the year, a number of behind-the-scenes upgrades resulted in improved performance in the WMS. Though you probably didn’t hear a lot about these updates you’ve likely benefited from the results, which include reduced issues during times of heavy traffic, and a smoother more seamless browser experience for site visitors. Notable milestones (provided by our development team) include:
- Getting cron to run across all sites in under 15 minutes
- Automating configuration management with Ansible
- Defining and starting to implement the new server infrastructure
- Improved channels distributing — scheduled publishing is triggered to happen more often
5. Call-to-action block, September 2016
Call-to-action blocks automatically format content in an attractive, consistent manner that makes it easy for your site visitors to identify how to take the next step.
6. Twitter block, September 2016
7. List block, September 2016
8. Sticky at the top of lists, April 2016
9. Sortable tables, March 2016
10. Auto-redirects, August 2016
- Anchor links to accordions and tabs, June 2016
- Instagram in the Follow block, May 2016
- Video player updates, February 2016
2017 promises to be an equally momentous year for the WMS. A number of new enhancements are already in development, including a calendar/events search tool, a relevant content block and an all-new site dashboard. Stay tuned for updates.