For Winter 2020 courses, please continue using the current CREPUQ form.
For course approval requests as of Summer 2020, use the new and improved interface where you log in with your McGill username and password. The IUT/AEHE application is optimized for use with Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. Watch this short video on using the new interface.
Prior to submitting an application, McGill students must use the Course Equivalency System to ensure that the course(s) offered by the host institution is approved for transfer credit at McGill University.
What is the Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (AEHE-IUT)?
The Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) or Autorisation d'études hors établissement (AEHE) allows students registered at any of the province's universities to take courses, which will count toward a degree at their home university, at other Quebec universities. For example, if you are a McGill student, you can take a course at the Université de Montréal and apply the resulting course credit to your McGill degree this is subject to faculty policies — be sure to contact your faculty's Student Affairs Office to see what conditions apply to you.
Exchange, Special, or Visiting students are NOT eligible to take courses at other Quebec universities using the Quebec IUT procedure.
McGill Students taking courses at other Quebec institutions
NOTE 1: Students completing an IUT must ensure they do not exceed the maximum number of credits they are permitted to complete in a given term.
NOTE 2: For students in the Faculty of Arts, specific guidelines on how to complete the AEHE-IUT form must be followed.
You receive McGill transfer credits for courses successfully completed at the host institution, according to your faculty's policies. These credits will appear on your transcript once final grades are received. Final grades are automatically submitted to McGill via CREPUQ; they will not appear on your McGill transcript or be included in your GPA calculation.
- If your host university takes too long to send your grades to McGill, your graduation may be delayed.
- If your original grade is changed, it is your responsibility to ensure that the new grade is transmitted to McGill via the AEHE-IUT form. You will need to contact the host university’s Registrar’s office to advise them of the change; they will ensure that your record reflects the new grade, and they will submit the new grade via the AEHE-IUT form. You will also need to iut [at] mcgill.ca (email) to advise your home university that a new grade is available. Once the new grade is received, your transfer credits will be adjusted accordingly.
- Withdrawn, failed, or excluded courses will also appear on your McGill transcript at the time of transfer credit assessment, but they will not reflect in your credit and GPA calculations.
- Students in their final year (U3/U4) may have to delay their graduation by a term if they decide to take an IUT course in their final semester. Make sure to contact your faculty's Student Affairs Office and check your faculty policies to see what conditions apply to you.
- Once your application has been approved, you must still register for the approved course(s) at the host institution and provide any additional documents required there.
- Most McGill degree programs require you to do a minimum of 60 credits at McGill.
- Once your initial application has been approved, if you add/drop or withdraw from courses at your host university, you must submit these changes on your AEHE-IUT form ('Withdraw an application or cancel a course').
- While studying away from McGill, your host university's policies for adding and dropping courses will apply. Host universities are not responsible for special arrangements in cases of exam or class schedule conflicts.
- Transfer credits will be processed following receipt of official grades submitted via the CREPUQ system - it is not necessary to request an official transcript from the host institution
- It is your responsibility to ensure that grade changes are transmitted to your home institution via the AEHE-IUT form. You will need to contact the host institution’s
Registrar’s office to advise them that your grade has been changed.
- Tuition for courses taken at your host university will be paid through your McGill account.
For more information, send us an iut [at] mcgill.ca (email) or contact Service Point.
Students from other Quebec institutions wishing to take courses at McGill University
To apply for an IUT at McGill University, you will need to use the AEHE-IUT form. Your application will be reviewed by your home institution (program advisor, Faculty Student Affairs Office, Registrar’s Office), and once it is approved, it will be sent McGill University for review and approval.
Prior to submitting your application, consult McGill’s Class Schedule for an up-to-date list of course offerings in a given term. NOTE: approval of your course request by McGill does not guarantee you a spot in the course. There must be spaces available in the course section when you register in Minerva.
Applications for IUT must be submitted by:
|Fall Term||Winter Term||Summer Term|
|August 15||December 15||
April 15 (May courses)
Applications submitted after the specified deadlines will not be approved.
Note: Late requests for Management courses offered in the Summer term may be considered.Students must contact the Desautels Faculty of Management Student Affairs Office
You may follow up on the status of your application by logging into the AEHE-IUT form. Be sure to read any comments added to your application.
Registering for undergraduate-level courses (100-500)
Registering for graduate-level courses (600-700)
Final grades are transmitted to your home university via the AEHE-IUT system. You do not need to provide your home university with an official McGill transcript.
- If your original grade is changed, it is your responsibility to notify Enrolment Services by iut [at] mcgill.ca (email) and your home university’s Registrar’s Office. McGill University will transmit the new grade via CREPUQ, and the Registrar’s Office at your home university will receive notification and retrieve it in CREPUQ. This is not automatic - you will need to notify both offices as specified.
The Explore Program is a five-week, French-language bursary program offered by the Government of Canada. Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to receive transfer credit on their McGill transcript. The Explore Program procedure is as follows:
- The student consults the Explore Program website to determine the course they wish to take
- In Minerva, the student submits a simplified Study Away Application (you must indicate in the comments that you wish to take a course offered through the Explore Program) and an Approval of Transfer Credit Assessment form to request course approval
- The student applies for the Explore Program on the Quebec government website
- If the student is accepted for the bursary and confirms their registration at the host institution, they must email this decision to their Faculty Student Affairs Office (SAO)
- The Faculty SAO approves the Study Away application and Transfer Course in Minerva
- Management of Academic Records adds a special inter-university course (EXTL-IU%-999) to the student’s record in the appropriate summer term and a notation of ‘Inter-University Explore Pgm’ reflects on the McGill transcript
- Upon course completion, the student requests a copy of their transcript to be sent to Management of Academic Records (see address below)
- If the student successfully completes the program, the Faculty SAO updates the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment form with the appropriate transfer credits (if they should be granted)
NOTE 1: The CREPUQ-IUT system is not used for this program when the student is taking the French course at a Quebec university.
NOTE 2: If an Explore institution is missing from the Study Away module picklist, please email studentrecords [at] mcgill.ca.
Management of Academic Records
3415 McTavish Street
McLennan Library Building, Room MS 13
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0C8
IUT Contact Information
Please refer to the list below for contact information for all institutions taking part in the IUT Agreement.
|Bishop's University||records [at] ubishops.ca|
|Concordia University||inter.university [at] concordia.ca|
|Université Laval||B_CREPUQ_REG [at] reg.ulaval.ca|
|McGill University||iut [at] mcgill.ca|
|Université de Montréal||autorisetud [at] regis.umontreal.ca|
|HEC Montréal||horsetablissement [at] hec.ca|
|École Polytechnique||aeregistraire-poly [at] polymtl.ca|
|Université de Sherbooke||bt-registraire [at] listes.USherbrooke.ca|
|Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC)||regis-uqac_aehe [at] uqac.ca|
|Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM)||ententeinteruniversitaire [at] regis.uqam.ca|
|Université du Québec à Rimouski (UQAR)||inscription [at] uqar.ca|
|Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR)||crepuq-ehe [at] uqtr.ca|
|Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (UQAT)||interuniversitaire.regis [at] uqat.ca|
|Université du Québec en Outaouais (UQO)||dossier [at] uqo.ca|
|École nationale d'administration publique (ENAP)||AEHE [at] enap.ca|
|École de technologie supérieure (ETS)||ententes [at] etsmtl.ca|
|Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS)||bordereau-transfert [at] adm.inrs.ca|
|Télé-Université (TELUQ)||crepuq [at] teluq.ca|