Quebec Inter-University Transfer

Prior to submitting an application, McGill students must use the Course Equivalency System to ensure that the course(s) offered by the host institution is approved for transfer credit at McGill University. 

The IUT/AEHE interface requires all users to log in with their McGill username and password. 

The IUT/AEHE application is optimized for use with Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. Watch this short video on using the interface.

What is the Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (AEHE-IUT)?

The Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) or Autorisation d'études hors établissement (AEHE) allows students registered as regular students at a Québec university (home institution) to take one or more courses that they wish, as part of their program of study, at another Québec university (host institution). The agreement does not take precedence over institutional regulations to which students at both the host and home institutions remain subject to.

For example, if you are a McGill student, you can take a course at the Université de Montréal and apply the resulting course credit to your McGill degree. This is subject to faculty policies — be sure to contact your faculty's Student Affairs Office to see what conditions apply to you.

Exchange, Special, or Visiting students are NOT eligible to take courses at other Quebec universities using the Quebec IUT procedure.


McGill Students taking courses at other Quebec institutions

Step 1: Applying

Application Decision
  • To apply for an IUT, you will need to use the online AEHE-IUT form
    • Your application will be reviewed by your McGill program advisor, your faculty Student Affairs Office, and Enrolment Services
    • If approved, it will be sent to your host institution for review
    • Your host university may require you to complete further steps — contact them for details
      • Apply well in advance to make sure you meet your host university’s registration deadlines
      • Make sure to check the course availability and prerequisite requirements via the host university's course offerings prior to submitting your application
  • Courses taken as extra to your McGill program must be identified clearly on the AEHE-IUT form (using the Comments field), and they must be approved as ‘extra to your program’ as part of your application
  • McGill students wishing to complete a full term of study at another Quebec university must use the AEHE-IUT form, and are not required to complete a Request for Study Away application on Minerva
  • You will be informed of the host institution's decision by email
    • To follow up on the status of your application, log in to the AEHE-IUT form. Be sure to read any comments added to your application by the host institution;
  • Please note that universities can reject your application at their discretion;
  • Once your application has been approved by the host university and you have successfully registered, the host university will update your application status;
    • When your status is ‘confirmed’, your McGill transcript will reflect an IUT notation, and tuition will be assessed for the number of credits in which you are enrolled at the host university
    • Timing: Normally shortly following the add/drop deadline in a specified term

NOTE 1: Students completing an IUT must ensure they do not exceed the maximum number of credits they are permitted to complete in a given term. 

NOTE 2: For students in the Faculty of Arts, specific guidelines on how to complete the AEHE-IUT form must be followed.

Step 2: Getting transfer credit

You receive McGill transfer credits for courses successfully completed at the host institution, according to your faculty's policies. These credits will appear on your transcript once final grades are received. Final grades are automatically submitted to McGill via the AEHE system; they will not appear on your McGill transcript or be included in your GPA calculation.

  • If your host university takes too long to send your grades to McGill, your graduation may be delayed.
  • If your original grade is changed, it is your responsibility to ensure that the new grade is transmitted to McGill via the AEHE-IUT form. You will need to contact the host university’s Registrar’s office to advise them of the change; they will ensure that your record reflects the new grade, and they will submit the new grade via the AEHE-IUT form. You will also need to iut [at] (email) to advise your home university that a new grade is available. Once the new grade is received, your transfer credits will be adjusted accordingly.
  • Withdrawn, failed, or excluded courses will also appear on your McGill transcript at the time of transfer credit assessment, but they will not reflect in your credit and GPA calculations.

Important Notes

  • Students in their final year (U3/U4) may have to delay their graduation by a term if they decide to take an IUT course in their final semester. Make sure to contact your faculty's Student Affairs Office and check your faculty policies to see what conditions apply to you.
  • Once your application has been approved, you must still register for the approved course(s) at the host institution and provide any additional documents required there.
  • Most McGill degree programs require you to do a minimum of 60 credits at McGill.
  • Once your initial application has been approved, if you add/drop or withdraw from courses at your host university, you must submit these changes on your AEHE-IUT form ('Withdraw an application or cancel a course').
  • While studying away from McGill, your host university's policies for adding and dropping courses will apply. Host universities are not responsible for special arrangements in cases of exam or class schedule conflicts.
  • Transfer credits will be processed following receipt of official grades submitted via the AEHE system - it is not necessary to request an official transcript from the host institution
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that grade changes are transmitted to your home institution via the AEHE-IUT form. You will need to contact the host institution’s
    Registrar’s office to advise them that your grade has been changed.
  • Tuition for courses taken at your host university will be paid through your McGill account.

For more information, send us an iut [at] (email) or contact Service Point.

Students from other Quebec institutions wishing to take courses at McGill University

Step 1: Applying

To apply for an IUT at McGill University, you will need to use the AEHE-IUT form. Your application will be reviewed by your home institution (program advisor, Faculty Student Affairs Office, Registrar’s Office), and once it is approved, it will be sent McGill University for review and approval.

Prior to submitting your application for Winter 2024, consult McGill’s eCalendar for course listings and consult the relevant department to find out if the course will offered in Winter 2024 as well as the course schedule.

NOTE: approval of your course request by McGill does not guarantee you a spot in the course. There must be spaces available in the course section when you register in Minerva.

Applications for IUT must be submitted by:

Fall Term Winter Term Summer Term
August 15 December 15

April 15 (May courses)
May 15 (June courses)
June 15 (July courses)

Applications submitted after the specified deadlines will not be approved.

Note: Late requests for Management courses offered in the Summer term may be considered. Students must contact the Desautels Faculty of Management Student Affairs Office

You may follow up on the status of your application by logging into the AEHE-IUT form. Be sure to read any comments added to your application.

Step 2: Registering


Registering for approved courses

  • Once your application is approved by McGill University, you will be sent an email confirming your McGill ID and the steps you will need to follow to register for the course(s) you have been approved to take in the specified term
  • Students register using McGill's online student information system called Minerva
    • If the course you are interested in has a required pre-requisite or requires departmental approval, you must contact the McGill University department responsible for the course
    • If you wish to drop or withdraw from the course(s) in which you are registered, you MUST use both Minerva and the AEHE-IUT form to cancel your registration or withdraw from the course(s)
    • Make sure you are aware of the course add/drop or withdrawal deadlines, as they will affect whether you get charged tuition at your home institution or not
    • The confirmation of registration status for each course will be updated on the AEHE-IUT form shortly following the add/drop deadline in the specified term
  • Your home university will access your registration status on the AEHE-IUT form and assess your tuition accordingly
    • Incoming students do not pay tuition for their IUT course(s) at McGill; all fees are charged at their home university
    • If you receive a bill from McGill University, you will need to notify Enrolment Services by iut [at] (email)
  • You will have access to a McGill transcript, which will reflect your status as an IUT student, as well as the course(s) in which you are registered - at the end of the term, once grades are submitted, they will also reflect on your transcript
    • To view your transcript, log into Minerva and go to: Student Menu->Student Records Menu->View Your Unofficial Transcript

Step 3: Final grades

Final grades are transmitted to your home university via the AEHE-IUT system. You do not need to provide your home university with an official McGill transcript.

  • If your original grade is changed, it is your responsibility to notify Enrolment Services by iut [at] (email) and your home university’s Registrar’s Office. McGill University will transmit the new grade, and the Registrar’s Office at your home university will receive notification and retrieve it in the AEHE system. This is not automatic - you will need to notify both offices as specified.

For more information, send us an iut [at] (email), contact Service Point, or consult the Student Guide (only available in French). 

Explore Program

The Explore Program is a five-week, French-language bursary program offered by the Government of Canada. Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to receive transfer credit on their McGill transcript. The Explore Program procedure is as follows:

  1. The student consults the Explore Program website to determine the course they wish to take
  2. In Minerva, the student submits a simplified Study Away Application (you must indicate in the comments that you wish to take a course offered through the Explore Program) and an Approval of Transfer Credit Assessment form to request course approval
  3. The student applies for the Explore Program on their official website
  4. If the student is accepted for the bursary and confirms their registration at the host institution, they must email this decision to their Faculty Student Affairs Office (SAO)
  5. The Faculty SAO approves the Study Away application and Transfer Course in Minerva
  6. Management of Academic Records adds a special inter-university course (EXTL-IU%-999) to the student’s record in the appropriate summer term and a notation of ‘Inter-University Explore Pgm’ reflects on the McGill transcript
  7. Upon course completion, the student requests a copy of their transcript to be sent to Management of Academic Records (see address below)
  8. If the student successfully completes the program, the Faculty SAO updates the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment form with the appropriate transfer credits (if they should be granted)

NOTE 1: The AEHE system is not used for this program when the student is taking the French course at a Quebec university.

NOTE 2: If an Explore institution is missing from the Study Away module picklist, please email studentrecords [at]

Management of Academic Records
Enrolment Services
McGill University
3415 McTavish Street
McLennan Library Building, Room MS 13
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0C8

IUT Contact Information

Please refer to the list below for contact information for all institutions taking part in the IUT Agreement.  

University Contact
Bishop's University records [at]
Concordia University [at]
Université Laval B_CREPUQ_REG [at]
McGill University iut [at]
Université de Montréal autorisetud [at]
HEC Montréal horsetablissement [at]
École Polytechnique aeregistraire-poly [at]
Université de Sherbooke bt-registraire [at]
Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC) regis-uqac_aehe [at]
Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) ententeinteruniversitaire [at]
Université du Québec à Rimouski (UQAR) inscription [at]
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières (UQTR) crepuq-ehe [at]
Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (UQAT) interuniversitaire.regis [at]
Université du Québec en Outaouais (UQO) dossier [at]
École nationale d'administration publique (ENAP) AEHE [at]
École de technologie supérieure (ETS) ententes [at]
Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS) bordereau-transfert [at]
Télé-Université (TELUQ) crepuq [at]
Back to top