Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions


What is transfer credit?

Transfer credit is credit toward your McGill program granted for courses taken at another institution. Transfer credit can be granted for a specific McGill course (if the coursework is deemed to be equivalent), or as a block of credits (i.e. for CEGEP graduates).


What is an exemption?

An exemption may be granted if you have completed a course at another institution that is equivalent to a McGill course. An exemption does not give you course credits. Rather, it means that you must take another course in the place of the one for which you receive the exemption.

If you receive an exemption, you must consult your program requirements in the undergraduate calendar to determine what courses you can take instead. If you're unclear about how exemptions work, an advisor can help.


Do I qualify for transfer credits or exemptions?

To find out if you qualify, visit the prospective or newly admitted student Transfer Credit & Advancement page, or the page for current students, and follow the links that apply to you.


How do I apply for transfer credit?

You generally don't need to apply for transfer credit. If you are a newly admitted student and have confirmed your offer of admission, your record will be automatically evaluated for transfer credit.

If you are a current student and took courses at another university without first obtaining permission from McGill, contact an advisor to find out if you can apply for transfer credit.


When do I apply for transfer credit?

Prospective and newly admitted students

You don't actually apply for transfer credit. On your application to McGill, you must indicate any courses you took at a CEGEP, university or other higher education institution. Your file will be automatically reviewed for transfer credits if you:

  • are admitted to McGill; and
  • accept the offer of admission.

If you took courses before applying to McGill and did not indicate them on your McGill application, you may not receive transfer credits for them.

Current students

If you have participated in a McGill exchange program and your faculty/department pre-approved the courses you took, or if you took courses at another Quebec university (under the IUT agreement), the other institution will automatically send your transcript to McGill.

If you are a current student and took courses at another university without first obtaining permission from McGill, contact an advisor to find out if you can apply for transfer credit.

Otherwise, you must arrange for McGill to receive your final official transcript(s) from the other institution by the following deadlines:

  • April 30, if your term of graduation is Winter (Convocation in Spring);
  • September 15, if your term of graduation is Summer (Convocation in Fall); and
  • January 15, if your term of graduation is Fall (degree granted February, Convocation in Spring).

If your transcripts are not received by the appropriate deadline, your graduation may be delayed to the next graduation term.


Do I need to pay a fee to get transfer credit?



How many transfer credits can I apply for?

In general, students can claim up to 30 credits worth of exemptions. However, it is vital that you check the Undergraduate Programs Calendar for the precise regulations in your faculty and program.


When will I receive my transfer credit?

Newly-admitted undergraduate students in the faculties of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Education, Engineering, Management, Nursing, Science

We will record your transfer credits on your McGill transcript by October, though in most cases the information will be showing on your record during the summer and prior to starting classes, where the following conditions are met:

  • you have confirmed your offer to a program at McGill
  • your CEGEP, university, school, examination board, or other issuing institution has provided us the official results (often not until July or August)
  • the course is listed on one of the sub-pages of the "Prospective and newly admitted students" page of this website, and is pre-approved for credit (subject to change)
  • the course is not an excluded course for your entering program
  • you passed the course with the required minimum grade or better (see individual pages for details)

You can see your transfer credit on your unofficial transcript using Minerva. Your McGill transcript does not show any grades for courses taken at other institutions, and the grades will not be included in the calculation of your grade point average.

If you change your program or faculty within McGill, your transfer credit will be re-evaluated by the entering department and faculty Student Affairs Office, and previously granted credits may be revised.

Note: To qualify for a McGill degree, a minimum of 60 credits must normally be completed at McGill.


Where do I find my faculty and/or program's transfer credit policy?

It is your responsibility to read and understand your faculty and program requirements as outlined in the Programs Calendar, and to ensure that courses you take at McGill do not overlap with those you have taken at other institutions. If you have any doubts or questions, consult an advisorNOTE: It is possible that some granted exemptions may not fulfill specific program requirements.  Please see your department advisor for confirmation. 

Credits required to maintain scholarships or to maintain full-time status must be McGill credits. Transfer credits do not count as part of this total.


I qualify for transfer credits. Am I still eligible for awards?

The Scholarships and Student Aid Office can answer any questions you may have on this subject. You can either send them an student.aid [at] (e-mail) or phone 514-398-6015.


I completed a math or science course that I think is equivalent to a McGill course, but it's not listed on the equivalency tables.

You may be eligible to write placement exams in linear algebra, biology, chemistry, math or physics. Check the Exams website for more information.


I still need help!

Visit our help page to get in touch with someone who can help you further.

Back to top