Alignment with Principles for Designing Teaching and Learning Spaces
- Layout: Work surfaces for notebooks, laptops, or textbooks
- Furniture: Comfortable, roomy seating
- Technologies: Access to resources: LMS, internet (via student laptops)
- Acoustics: Acoustic design to avoid distaction from outside and inside sources
- Lighting/colour: Appropriate lighting for indiviual work
Learning with Peers
- Layout: Students can move about classroom with ease due to multiple aisles. Unobstructed sightlines.
- Furniture: Comfortable seating permits students to turn and discuss with those nearby, promoting face-to-face communication
- Acoustics: Sound zones support multiple simultaneous conversations among students.
- Lighting/colour: Different lighting patterns and levels support different learning activities
Experiences with Faculty
- Layout: Instructor has easy access to all students due to multiple aisles and unobstructed sightlines.
- Furniture: Medium-sized podium does not interfere with sightlines or movement, and has a surface sufficient for instructional materials.
- Technologies: Projection and multiple classroom technology sources (Computer, document camera, VCR, etc.) permit display of different learning materials; large screen ensures that all students are able to see projected materials clearly.
- Acoustics: Sound zones ensure that not only are students able to hear the instructor, but that the instructor is also able to hear the students. Wireless and wired audio amplification available for instructors.
- Lighting/colour: Different lighting patterns support multiple types of teaching tasks.
- University standards applied, including improvements to ventilation, and IT consistent with teaching and learning needs.
- Designed for all populations using the space: well-lit, with sufficient storage space under chairs and standardized room controls to facilitate use of multiple classrooms.
High-Impact Practices (HIPs)
- Both physical and virtual affordances help maximize HIPs for student learning within and beyond this classroom.
Photographs before renovation