An innovative and experimental teaching space designed to provide instructors with an opportunity to experiment with different types of furniture and technologies.
The affordances in MS-74 were specifically chosen to support as many of the Principles for the Design of Teaching and Learning Spaces as possible within one space. The room contains the following affordances to support different types of activities and different student experiences:
- Layout and furniture:
- Movable furniture to support up to 32 students in different groups (multiple sample layouts are available on request)
- Mix of furniture at multiple heights
- Secondary movable podium
- Printable AV instructions available
- Whiteboards of multiple sizes on multiple walls
- Multiple, portable whiteboards that can be moved off the walls and brought to tables
- Movable posts with electric outlets
- Two large interactive wall screens that allow for projecting multiple, different sources at the same time and that also support digital writing
- A movable podium with the following:
- Computer with standard software used for teaching
- Touchscreen interactive monitor
- Laptop connection (VGA and HDMI connections)
- Document camera
- Crestron control screen to control room AV
- Wireless projection allowing any computer/tablet/smartphone to display on large screens
- A web-conferencing screen that allows for interaction with outside participants (this technology requires additional support and training - for more information, contact tls [at] mcgill.ca)
Please report any room issues to tls [at] mcgill.ca or 6648. You can download the classroom AV instructions here.
- Users should be familiar with the layout and technology present in the classroom. If needed, a short training session with TLS staff can be scheduled. Please send your request to tls [at] mcgill.ca at least seven (7) business days before your event but no sooner than thirty (30) days prior to your event.
- The tables/chairs are all movable - be sure to unlock the wheels prior to moving the tables. Please ensure to return the tables/chairs to the default layout (see laminated picture on the back of the door) before leaving.
- It is each user’s responsibility to ensure that the tables are cleaned after use. Supplies are provided for this purpose.
- Whiteboard markers and erasers are provided. Ensure that the whiteboards are cleaned before leaving.
- Web-conference equipment is available and TLS can assist you with setup. Please ensure you communicate your AV requirements to tls [at] mcgill.ca seven (7) business days before your event.
- Basic IT Service is available for technical support in MS-74. Please use the phone in the classroom to call 3398 for assistance. NOTE: Only basic functions of the room (connecting and projecting) are supported over the phone.
- All food and beverages are to be placed on the small counter located in the far corner of the room. Users are expected to clean up after their event.
- Please turn off the lights when you are done. The main switch, which is by the door, is clearly identified.
MS-74 is available from Monday-Friday, from 9am-5pm.
To reserve MS-74 please email tls [at] mcgill.ca. Note that room booking priority will be given to events and activities related to Teaching and Learning Services. To learn more about this room, including what kinds of activities it can support or its design, please contact tls [at] mcgill.ca.