Dr Tim Grant Evans
Tim joined McGill University in September 2019, as the Inaugural Director and Associate Dean of the School of Population and Global Health (SPGH) in the Faculty of Medicine and Associate Vice-Principal (Global Policy and Innovation). He joins McGill after a 6 year tenure as the Senior Director of the Health, Nutrition and Population Global Practice at the World Bank Group. From 2010 to 2013, Tim was Dean of the James P. Grant School of Public Health at BRAC University in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and Senior Advisor to the BRAC Health Program. From 2003 to 2010, he was Assistant Director General at the World Health Organization (WHO). Prior to this, he served as Director of the Health Equity Theme at the Rockefeller Foundation. Earlier in his career he was an attending physician of internal medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and was Assistant Professor in International Health Economics at the Harvard School of Public Health. Tim has been at the forefront of advancing global health equity and strengthening health systems delivery for more than 20 years. At WHO, he led the Commission on Social Determinants of Health and oversaw the production of the annual World Health Report. He has been a co-founder of many partnerships including the Global Alliance on Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI) as well as efforts to increase access to HIV treatment for mothers and innovative approaches to training community-based midwives in Bangladesh. Tim received his Medical Degree from McMaster University in Canada and was a Research and Internal Medicine Resident at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He earned a D.Phil. in Agricultural Economics from University of Oxford, where he was a Rhodes Scholar.
Email: timgrant.evans [at] gmail.com
Tim has been at the forefront of advancing global health equity and strengthening health systems delivery for more than 20 years. At WHO, he led the Commission on Social Determinants of Health and oversaw the production of the annual World Health Report. He has been a co-founder of many partnerships including the Global Alliance on Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI) as well as efforts to increase access to HIV treatment for mothers and innovative approaches to training community-based midwives in Bangladesh.
Global health, health equity, health sector reform, universal health coverage
Peer reviewed journal articles:
- Joarder T, Rawal LB, Ahmed SM, Uddin A, Evans TG. “Retaining doctors in rural Bangladesh: a policy analysis” Int J Health Policy Manag. 2018;x(x):x–x. doi:10.15171/ijhpm.2018.37
- Dugani S, Veillard J, Evans TG “Quality primary health care will drive the realization of universal health coverage”. CMAJ April 16, 2018 190 (15) E453-E454; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.180186
- Evans, TG. “Canada and Global Health: accelerate leadership now” The Lancet, 2018: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30178-8
- Adams AM, Ahmed SM, and TG Evans (January 1, 2018). Universal Health Care in Bangladesh—promises and perils,” The Lancet Global Health. Issue 6, no. 1: e10–11, https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30470-9.
- Schefler RM, Campbell J, Cometto G, Maeda A, Liu J, Bruckner T, Arnold D, and Evans T, “Forecasting imbalances in the global health labor market and devising policy responses” Human Resources for Health (2018) 16:5 DOI 10.1186/s12960-017-0264-6
- Evans TG, Kieny MP “Systems science for universal health coverage” Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2017;95:484. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.17.192542
- Khan, JAM.; Ahmed, S; Evans, TG. “Catastrophic healthcare expenditure and poverty related to out-of-pocket payments for healthcare in Bangladesh—An estimation of financial risk protection of universal health coverage” Health Policy Plan. 2017, 1–9.
- Collins T, Adams J, Chestnov, Evans T, Feigl, Nugent R, Pablos-Méndez A, Srivanichakorn S, Webb D. “Addressing NCDs: A unifying agenda for sustainable development” Global Public Health 2017 Oct 28:1-6. [doi: 10.1080/17441692.2017.1394481.]
- Darzi, A, Evans, TG. “The global shortage of health workers—an opportunity to transform care.” The Lancet, 2016, Volume 388, No. 10060, p2576–2577.
- Evans, TG, Pablos, A. “Shaping of a new era for health financing”, The Lancet, 2016 Volume 387, Issue 10037: 2482-2484.
- Kleinman A, et al. “Time for mental health to come out of the shadows” The Lancet, 2016, Volume 387, No. 10035, p2274–2275, 4 June 2016
- Jay, J et al. “Building from the HIV Response toward Universal Health Coverage.” PLoS Medicine 13.8 (2016): e1002083. PMC. Web. 15 Oct. 2016.
- Reich, MR et al. “Moving towards universal health coverage: lessons from 11 country studies” The Lancet, Volume 387, Issue 10020; 811-816.
- Kim, JY, Evans TG. “Promoting women’s health for sustainable development” The Lancet, Volume 386, Issue 9999: e9-e10.
- Kim, JY, Evans TG “Redefining the measure of medical education: harnessing the transformative potential of MEPI”. Academic Medicine: August 2014 89 (8):S29-S31.
- Evans, TG “Governance in global health: a role for framework conventions” Health Hum Rights 2013 14;15(1): E5-7. Epub 2013 Jun 14.
- Ahmed, SM et al. “Harnessing pluralism for better health in Bangladesh” In Lancet Series: Bangladesh: Innovation for Universal Health Coverage. November 2013: 21-29.
- Adams, A et al. “Explaining equity gains in child survival in Bangladesh: scale, speed and selectivity in health and development” In Lancet Series: Bangladesh: Innovation for Universal Health Coverage. November 2013: 46-46.
- Adams, A et al. “Innovation for universal health coverage in Bangladesh: a call to action”. In Lancet Series: Bangladesh: Innovation for Universal Health Coverage. November 2013: 67-74.
- Alam, DS et al. “Smoking-attributable mortality in Bangladesh, a proportional mortality study” Bull World Health Organ 2013 Oct 12;91(10):757-64. Epub 2013 Jul 12.
- Akanda, A. S., Jutla, A. S., Gute, D. M., Evans, T., & Islam, S. (2012). “Reinforcing cholera intervention through prediction-aided prevention”. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 90(3), 243-244. doi:10.2471/BLT.11.092189
- Latko, Brian et al. “The growing movement for universal health coverage” The Lancet, Volume 377, Issue 9784, 2161-2163.
- Frenk, J, et al. “Health professionals for a new century: transforming education to strengthen health systems in an interdependent world”. Lancet: 2010; 376: 1923-1958.
- Samb B, et al. “Prevention and management of chronic disease: a litmus test for health systems strengthening in low- and middle-income countries”. Lancet, 2010: 376: 1785-1797.
- WHO Maximizing Positive Synergies Group. "An assessment of the interactions between Global Health Initiatives and country health systems". Lancet 2009; 373: 2137-2169.
- Evans T, Nishtar S, Atun R, “Scaling up research and learning for health systems: time to act”. Lancet 2008; 372: 1529-1531.
- Bennet S, Adam T, Zarowsky C, Tarycharoasthan V, Ranson K, Evans T, Mills A. From Mexico to Mali: progress in health policy and systems research. Lancet 2008; 372: 1571-1578.
- Tang S, Meng Q, Chen L, Bekedam H, Evans T. Tackling the challenges to health equity in China. Lancet 2008; 372: 1493-1501.
- Han Q, Chen L, Evans TG, Horton R, “China and Global Health”. Lancet 2008; 372: 1439-1441.
- Evans TG, AbouZahr C. “INDEPTH@10: celebrate the past and illuminate the future”. Global Health Action 2008; Volume 1 online.
- Matlin S, Evans TG, Hasler J, Ijsselmuiden C, Pannenborg O, Toure O. “Signposts to research for health”. Lancet 2008: 372:1521-1522.
- Murray CJL, Frenk J, Evans TG. "The Global Campaign for the Health MDGs: challenges, opportunities, and the imperative of shared learning". Lancet 2007; 370 (9592): 1018-20.
- Xu K, Evans DB, Carrin G, Aguilar-Rivera AM, Musgrove P, Evans TG. "Protecting households from catastrophic health spending". Health Aff (Millwood) 2007; 26(4): 972-83.
- Sim I, Chan AW, Gulmezoglu AM, Evans TG, Pang T. "Clinical trial registration: transparency is the watchword". Lancet 2006; 367(9523): 1631-3.
- Pang T, Gray M, Evans TG. "A 15th grand challenge for global public health". Lancet 2006; 367(9507): 284.
- Evans DB, Adam T, Edejer TT, Lim SS, Cassels A, Evans TG; "WHO Choosing Interventions that are Cost Effective (CHOICE) Millennium Development Goals Team. Time to reassess strategies for improving health in developing countries". BMJ 2005; 331(7525): 1133-6.
- Evans DB, Carrin G, Evans TG. "The challenge of private insurance for public good". Bull World Health Organ 2005; 83(2): 83.
- Travis P, Bennett S, Haines A, Pang T, Bhutta Z, Hyder AA, Pielemeier NR, Mills A, Evans TG. "Overcoming health-systems constraints to achieve the Millennium Development Goals". Lancet. 2004; 364(9437): 900-6. Erratum in: Lancet 2005; 365(9456): 294.
- Chen L, Evans TG, Anand S, Boufford JI, Brown H, Chowdhury M, Cueto M, Dare L, Dussault G, Elzinga G, Fee E, Habte D, Hanvoravongchai P, Jacobs M, Kurowski C, Michael S, Pablos-Mendez A, Sewankambo N, Solimano G, Stilwell B, de Waal A, Wibulpolprasert S. "Human resources for health: overcoming the crisis". Lancet 2004; 364(9449): 1984-90.
- Narasimhan V, Brown H, Pablos-Mendez A, Adams O, Dussault G, Elzinga G, Nordstrom A, Habte D, Jacobs M, Solimano G, Sewankambo N, Wibulpolprasert S, Evans TG, Chen L. "Responding to the global human resources crisis". Lancet 2004; 363(9419): 1469-72.
- Evans TG, Gulmezoglu M, Pang T. "Registering clinical trials: an essential role for WHO". Lancet 2004; 363(9419): 1413-4.
- Evans TG. "Arguing the case for strengthening health systems". Bull World Health Organ 2004; 82(12): 956-7.
- Evans TG, Brown H. "Road traffic crashes: operationalizing equity in the context of health sector reform". Inj Control Saf Promot 2003; 10(1-2): 11-12.
- Evans TG, Stansfield S. "Health information in the new millennium: a gathering storm?". Bull World Health Organ 2003; 81(12):856.
- Binka F, Cash R, Chen L, Claeson M, Dare L, Doyal L, Evans T, Germain A, Horton R, Jones D, Kilima P, Miller M, Narasimhan V, Pablos-Mendez A, Ramsay S, Reddy KS, Sanders D, Suwanwela C, Thankappan KR, Wibulpolprasert S. "An open letter to the Executive Board of WHO". Lancet 2002; 360(9348): 1797.
- Whitehead M, Dahlgren G, Evans TG. "Equity and health sector reforms: can low-income countries escape the medical poverty trap?" Lancet 2001; 358(9284): 833-6.
- Ridley RG, Lob-Levyt J, Sachs J, Johns D, Evans TG, Bale HE, Quick JD, Orbinski J. "Round table. A role for public-private partnerships in controlling neglected diseases?". Bull World Health Organ 2001; 79(8): 771-7.
- Evans TG. "Harnessing the new sciences for health equity". AIDS 2001; 15; S47-S48 Suppl.
- Evans TG, Wirth M, Vega J. "Health equity gauges". Bull World Health Organ 2000;78(8): 1066.
- Macfarlane SB, Evans TG, Muli-Musiime FM, Prawl OL, So AD. "Global health research and INCLEN. International Clinical Epidemiology Network". Lancet 1999; 353(9151): 503.
- Berlinguer G, Bettcher D, Drager N, Evans TG, Gunatilleke G, Harcourt W, Murphy C, Yach D, Wirth M. "Partnerships for Health Equity". Development 1999; 42(4): 3-4.
- Pablos-Mendez A, Chacko S, Evans TG. "Market failures and orphan diseases". Development 1999; 42(4): 79-83.
- Evans TG, Adams AM, Mohammed R, Norris AH. "Demystifying non-participation in micro-credit: A population-based analysis". World Development 1999; 27(2): 419-430.
- Yach D, Shov Jensen M, Norris A, and Evans TG, "Promoting equity in health". International Journal of Health Promotion and Education 1998, vol. V/2, 7-13.
- Adams AM, Evans TG, Mohammed R, Farnsworth J. "Socioeconomic stratification by wealth ranking: is it valid?". World Development 1997; 25 (7): 1165-1172.
- Evans TG. "Review of why are some people healthy and others not?" Health and Human Rights Journal 1995; 1(2):205-211.
- Evans TG, Ranson MK. "The cost-effectiveness and cost-utility of preventing trachomatous visual impairment: lessons from thirty years of trachoma control in Burma". British Journal of Ophthalmology 1996; 30: 1-10.
- Evans TG, Ranson MK. "The global burden of trachomatous visual impairment: II. Assessing burden". Int Ophthalmol 1995-1996; 19(5): 271-80.
- Ranson MK, Evans TG. "The global burden of trachomatous visual impairment: I. Assessing prevalence". Int Ophthalmol 1995-1996; 19(5): 261-70.
- Evans TG. "Socioeconomic consequences of blinding onchocerciasis in west Africa". Bull World Health Organ 1995; 73(4): 495-506.
- Evans TG. "The impact of permanent disability on rural households: river blindness in Guinea". IDS Bulletin 1989; 20 (2): 41-48.
- Evans TG, Murray CJ. "A critical re-examination of the economics of blindness prevention under the Onchocerciasis Control Programme". Soc Sci Med 1987; 25(3): 241-9.
Books, book chapters, monographs and letters
- Khan JAM, Ahmed, SM, Evans TG, Response to a comment on ‘Unravelling the socioeconomic gradient in the incidence of catastrophic health care expenditure’ Health Policy and Planning, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1093/heapol/czy025
- Das, MB; Evans, TG; Palu, T; Wilson, D. 2017. Social Inclusion: What Does It Mean for Health Policy and Practice? Health, Nutrition and Population Discussion Paper; World Bank, Washington, DC. © World Bank. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/28941 License: CC BY 3.0 IGO.
- Evans TG, Araujo EC, Herbst CH, Pannenborg O. Addressing the Challenges of Health Professional Education: Opportunities to Accelerate Progress Towards Universal Health Coverage. Doha, Qatar: World Innovation Summit for Health, 2016
- Evans TG, “Global Health” Chapter 31 in Bruce Currie-Adler et al Edt, International Development: Ideas, Experience and Prospects OUP, 2014:
- Evans TG, Editor-in-Chief. Primary Health Care: Now More than Ever. The World Health Report 2008. World Health Organization, Geneva 2008.
- Evans TG. "Universal Coverage: from concept to implementation" in Extending Social Protection in Health: Developing Countries' Experiences, Lessons Learnt and Recommendations. Proceeding from the International Conference on Social Health Insurance in Developing Countries, Berlin, 05-07 December 2005. GTZ, ILO and WHO. Verlag fur Adademische Schriften. 2007: 7-12.
- Evans TG, Editor-in-Chief. Working Together for Health: The World Health Report 2006. World Health Organization, Geneva 2006.
- Evans TG, Managing editor. Every Life Counts: The World Health Report 2005. World Health Organization, Geneva 2005.
- Dreesch N, Dal Poz MR, Gedk G, Adams O and Evans TG. "Developing human resources for the HIV pandemic" in Eduard J. Beck et al. ed. The HIV Pandemic: local and global implications. OUP. 2006: 688-705.
- Evans TG. Contributing editor. Human Resources for Health - Overcoming the Crisis. Report of the Joint Learning Initiative on Human Resources for Health, 2004. Harvard University Press. 2004.
- Evans TG. Chief Advisor. World Report on Knowledge for Better Health: strengthening health systems. World Health Organization, 2004.
- Evans TG. Contributing author. Shaping the future: The World Health Report 2003. World Health Organization 2003.
- Evans, TG. "Health-Related Global Public Goods: Initiatives of the Rockefeller Foundation" in Kaul et al. Global Public Goods Financing: New Tools for New Challenge. UNDP/ODS 2002: 31-36.
- Evans TG et al. ed. Challenging Inequities in Health: from ethics to action. OUP, 2001.
- Evans TG et al. "Introduction". In Evans TG et al. ed. Challenging Inequities in Health: from ethics to action. OUP, 2001: 3-11.
- Diderichsen F, Evans TG and Whithead M. "The social basis of disparities in health". In Evans et al ed. Challenging Inequities in Health: from ethics to action. OUP 2001: 12-23.
- Peter, F and Evans TG. "Ethical dimensions of equity in health". In Evans et al. ed. Challenging Inequities in Health: from ethics to action. OUP 2001: 24-33.
- Anand S, Diderichsen F, Evans TG, Shkolnikov M and Wirth M. "Measuring Disparities in Health: Methods and Indicators". In Evans et al. ed. Challenging Inequities in Health: from ethics to action. OUP 2001: 48-67.
- Liu, Y. Rao K. Evans TG, Chen Y, Hsaio WC . "China: Increasing Health Gaps in a Transitional Economy". In Evans et al. ed Challenging Inequities in Health: from ethics to action. OUP 2001: 76-89.
- Chen LC, Evans TG, Wirth M. "Philanthropy and Global Health Equity" in C. Everett Koop, Claerence E. Pearson and M. Roy Schwarz ed. Critical Issues in Global Health, Josey-Bass 2001: 430-439.
- Evans TG and Noris A. "Policy-oriented strategies for health equity" in Hung PM et al. ed. Efficient, Equity-Oriented Strategies for Health: International Perspectives - Focus on Vietnam. CIMH Melbourne 2000: 293-312.
- Chen LC, Evans TG, Cash RA. "Global Public Goods in Health". In Kaul et al. ed. Global Public Goods: Development Cooperation in the 21st century. UNDP 1999.
- Evans TG. The socioeconomic consequences of human disease on subsistence agriculture: the case of onchocerciasis in West Africa. Unpublished DPhil thesis. University of Oxford, 1989.