Registering for McGill Summer Studies
We look forward to welcoming you on McGill's green campus this summer. This is an excellent opportunity to experience Montreal during the best time of year, while taking courses from Canada's top medical-doctoral university (ranking: Maclean's magazine).
Who are Visiting University Students?
Students who are currently enrolled in a degree or diploma program at an out-of-province university, and international university students.
You may take undergraduate summer courses at McGill for credit at your home university.
To register for undergraduate summer courses, all Visiting University Students must submit the Registration Package, which includes the Registration Form, the Permanent Code Data form, and supporting legal documentation.
For graduate courses, see Registration Notes below.
Letter of Permission
* Only required for students who want their credit on record at their home University
Once you have selected the courses that you would like to take for university credit, you must obtain a letter of permission from the Registrar or other responsible authority at your home university. The letter of permission should state the course(s) and number of credits which may be taken. The letter must accompany the registration documentation sent to McGill.
Instructions for Completing the Registration Package
All visiting university students must submit the Registration and the Permanent Code Data forms and provide supporting legal documentation. There is a $50 non-refundable processing fee. This fee is payable online when you upload your Registration Package, or in person at Service Point on McGill campus. Please note: when paying this fee in person at Service Point you can only pay with a debit card (cash and credit cards are not accepted.)
Don't delay! Popular courses fill up quickly. Send your Registration Package as soon as possible.
Please note that the normal processing time for your summer registration documents is 3-5 business days. If you wish, after uploading your documents, you may choose priority processing for an extra $15. This will ensure processing time between 1-3 business days.
- Visiting students must include a letter of permission from their home university. See Letter of Permission above.
- Provide, when applicable, proof of citizenship or Permanent Resident status, or official attestation of residency in Quebec.
- More information regarding Legal Documents is available on the Legal Documents website.
- It is critical that you review the information posted on the Legal Documents website concerning which legal documents you are required to submit.
Submitting Your Registration Package
For the Summer 2018 Registration Package, click here.
- Please upload the completed forms and supporting documents (available February 1, 2018). Any forms that require a signature must be signed before being scanned. Only .pdf or .tiff files can be accepted.
Submit in person
McLennan Library Building
3415 McTavish Street
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0C8
After Submitting Your Registration Package
Once you have submitted your forms and legal documents, you will receive an email from Enrolment Services in approximately 3-5 business days indicating your McGill ID number and instructions on how to log into Minerva, McGill's online student interface, to register for your courses. Once you receive your email confirmation you will have to wait 24 hours before registering for your course. If your registration package is incomplete, Enrolment Services will email you indicating what is missing. If you wish to check the status of your registration package, you may contact McGill Service Point at 514-398-7878 or submit an online query.
- Graduate courses (600+ level courses): Students wishing to take a Graduate level course must register with the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office and submit an application via uapply.
- Dropping courses: Students are responsible for all courses in which they are registered unless they formally drop these courses using Minerva before the deadline date. It is not sufficient to notify the instructor or cease to attend lectures. Please see the section on Course Drop & Withdrawal for more information.
The last day to drop a course in the summer (with refund) is the 4th scheduled class.
The last day to withdraw from a course (with no refund) is the 9th scheduled class.
Please note that these deadlines might differ for intensive courses; please consult the course description for details.
- Restrictions: Registration restrictions for certain courses are listed in the Calendar—please note them before using Minerva.
- Minerva help: If you have any problems using the online McGill student interface, Minerva, please refer to the F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions) section and instructions at the Minerva for Students website. If you are still having problems using Minerva, please contact the Minerva Help Line at 514-398-7878.
Students From Outside Canada
International Students may refer to McGill's International Student Services (ISS) office for helpful information regarding immigration regulations and services available.
The International Student Services (ISS) office administers the University's Health Insurance Plan for International Students. International Students must ensure that they have adequate hospitalization and medical coverage during their stay at McGill. You may enroll in the University's International Student Health Plan for the summer term for which you are registered. The University and Immigration Québec require International Students to have proof of health insurance. It is important that you pickup your health insurance card upon your arrival at McGill.
For more information, please visit the ISS website.
To pick-up your student health insurance card, please go to:
McLennan Library Building
3415 McTavish St.
Montreal, Quebec H3A 1Y1