Grading and Feedback

What You Need to Know

Handbook on Student Rights and Resonsibilities

Charter of Students' Rights, Articles 12-14

12. The evaluation of a student’s performance in a course shall be fair and reasonable, and shall reflect the content of the course.

13. Unless the method of evaluation renders such a determination impossible, every student has a right to be informed upon request of his or her standing or performance in a course while the course is in the process of being taught.

14. Subject to reasonable administrative arrangements, and provided the request is made by a student within a reasonable time after the notification of a mark:

(a) Every student has a right to consult any written submission for which he or she has received a mark and a right to discuss this submission with the examiner, and

(b) Every student has a right to an impartial and competent review of any mark.

Policy on Conflicts of Interest in Academic Supervision and Evaluation

1. Where a member of the academic staff or a teaching assistant and a student are in a close personal relationship such that there is, or may be perceived to be, a conflict of interest or possible favouritism, then the staff member or teaching assistant shall decline or terminate a supervisory or evaluative role with respect to that student, and, where necessary, make appropriate alternative arrangements for the supervision and evaluation of the student’s work.

2. For the purposes of this chapter, a close personal relationship shall include spouses, parent and child, siblings, and consensual amorous relationships.

3. The alternative arrangements for supervision and evaluation shall be made in confidence and shall not prejudice the status of the student, staff member or teaching assistant.

4. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as condoning consensual amorous relationships between academic staff or teaching assistants and students.

Who You Can Talk To

  • Your instructor
  • The Chair or Director of the academic department 
  • The Course Information website
  • The Advising website

What Else You Can Do

If you encounter a problem, you may choose to contact 
your Faculty Associate Dean or Director.

Back to top