The "Class Schedule" video walks you through McGill's course offerings and schedules online.
The vast array of courses can sometimes seem a little daunting, but we're here to help you navigate it. The above video and detailed instructions below cover the basics, and you can contact an academic advisor for further guidance.
Instructions: Browsing the class schedule
- Navigate to the "Class Schedule Search" page on Minerva. After logging in, select Registration Menu and then Step 2.
- Select the term you'd like to register for, and click Submit.
- Choose the subject and/or the Faculty that correspond with the courses you want to register for. You can filter your search by specifying the times of day you're free, the instructors you want, etc.
Note: choose several subjects and/or faculties by holding down the "Ctrl" key while making your selections.Once you've applied your filters, click Get Course Sections at the bottom of the screen. You will then see a list of courses matching your search criteria, as well as the days/times each course is offered, class locations, instructors, and other useful details.
- Learn more about a particular course section by clicking on its Course Reference Number (CRN) on the left side of the screen. The Class Schedule Listing page will appear, which provides detailed information about the section. For even more details, including potential registration restrictions, click on the underlined course name near the top of the screen.
Note: some courses you're interested in may have special requirements such as placement tests, prerequisite courses, or departmental permission. Some courses have linked "corequisite" sections that must be registered for and taken at the same time.
- After having noted a few courses you are interested in, use Visual Schedule Builder (VSB) to view your possible class schedules in an easy-to-read weekly schedule format.
Note: you cannot use VSB to register, but you can copy your choice of Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) from VSB to Minerva for registration.
- Once you have chosen the CRNs you wish to register for, return to the Minerva Registration Menu. Click Quick Add or Drop Course Sections and enter the CRNs (one per box) on the Quick Add Worksheet and click Submit Changes. The page will then display all successfully registered courses, and any unsuccessful registrations will display with an error message explaining the cause (course is full, approval or pre-req req'd, etc.).
- Class schedules are updated as courses are added, cancelled, rescheduled, or relocated. It is your responsibility to consult the Class Schedule regularly, particularly at the time of registration and again before classes begin, to ensure that changes to your CRNs have not resulted in conflicts in your schedule.
- When registering in Minerva, you must not exceed the maximum credits per term permitted by your faculty. Students who carry fewer than 12 credits per term are considered to be part-time in that term.