In Canada, those wanting to practice as Speech-Language Pathologists must have at least Master's level training in Communication Sciences and Disorders. The requirements for professional certification, necessary for clinical practice, are set by the provincial professional colleges and/or associations.


Students graduating from our professional program meet the requirements necessary for licensure with l’Ordre des orthophonistes et audiologistes du Québec, OOAQ and for certification with the Speech-Language and Audiology Canada SAC. Every year, SAC holds an examination for those wishing to qualify for national certification.


In the United States, Speech-Language Pathologists are certified by the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association ASHA. As of 1998, SAC and ASHA accept each other's certification.

Back to top