Professional Training in Speech-Language Pathology (M.Sc.A.)


The School of Communication Sciences and Disorders offers exceptional professional training leading to a Master of Science (Applied) degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders with specialization in Speech-Language Pathology. 

The Speech-Language Pathologist (S-LP) is the human communication professional in charge of the assessment, the analysis, the intervention and the prevention of disorders related to the voice (aphonia, dysphonia, laryngectomy, etc), fluency (stuttering), speech (articulation, dysarthria, etc), language (aphasia, dyslexia, specific language impairment, autism, language delay, etc), and oropharyngeal function (swallowing). The S-LP is also involved with the deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals in close collaboration with the audiologist, and provides Augmentative and Alternative Communication tools to individuals with severe communication disorders who lost their capacity to communicate.

The S-LP's clientele is diverse: preschoolers and school age kids, adolescents, adults and elderly. They can work in school boards, special education facilities, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, long-term care, CLSCs, and in private practice.

In Canada, those wanting to practice as Speech-Language Pathologists must have at least Master's-level training in Communication Sciences and Disorders from an accredited program. Requirements for professional certification necessary for clinical practice are set by provincial regulatory bodies. The Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC) conducts an annual examination for those wishing to qualify for national certification.

The School’s professional program meets the requirements necessary for certification of graduates not only with the provincial regulatory body (the Ordre des Orthophonistes et Audiologistes du Québec [OOAQ]), but also with SAC. It’s important to note that, as of 1998, SAC and ASHA (the US equivalent) recognize one another's certification.

For more information about the profession of Speech-Language Pathology (Orthophonie), please contact the « Ordre des orthophonistes et Audiologistes du Québec » at:, or the Speech-Language and Audiology Canada at: