Foreign SLPs applying for coursework towards Quebec certification

In exceptional cases, individuals who have completed SLP training outside of North America can request to take specific MScA courses as required to complete their certification by l’Ordre des orthophonistes et des audiologistes du Québec (OOAQ). These individuals are considered “special student applicants” as they do not apply to our entire MScA program. Applicants must respect our fall semester application deadline of January 15th and winter semester application deadline of September 15th.

Note: The maximum number of credits that can be requested as a special student is 12 credits, over all semesters enrolled.  

For consideration as a special student, you must first complete the lengthy process of submitting your request for Quebec certification to l’Ordre des orthophonistes et des audiologistes du Québec (OOAQ), click here for more info. You must provide the OOAQ’s decision letter showing that you have partially met their requirements for professional equivalence, apart from supplemental training that includes specific courses that we offer.

Note that your admission to take our courses as a special student requires having an acceptable prior academic record.

To obtain a regular permit to practice from the OOAQ, you will also need to prepare for and pass l’examen de français de l’Office québécois de la langue française, click here for more info.

To be considered as a special student, please submit:

  1. A cover letter addressed to the chair of admissions, outlining the specific courses you are asking to take to meet OOAQ requirements, the semester you would like to enroll in the course(s), and the total number of credits requested as a special student (there is a maximum of 12 credits)
  2. Decision letter from l'Ordre des othophonistes et des audiologistes du Québec (OOAQ) on training components you require to obtain Quebec SLP certification
  3. Transcripts from all universities attended
  4. Proof of English proficiency as per GPS requirements

Proof of proficiency - not required

Normally, if you meet any one of the following conditions you are not required to submit proof of proficiency in English:

  • Mother tongue (language first learned and still used on a daily basis) is English
  • Has obtained (or is about to obtain) an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized foreign institution where English is the language of instruction
  • Has obtained (or is about to obtain) an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution in Canada or the United States of America (anglophone or francophone)
  • Has lived and attended university, or been employed, for at least four consecutive years, in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language

Proof of proficiency - required

If you do not meet any of the above-listed conditions, you must demonstrate proficiency in English using one of the following options:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum acceptable scores are:

The CBT is no longer being offered. CBT results will no longer be accepted as ETS no longer reports these results. N.B. an institutional version of the TOEFL is not acceptable.

- IBT (Internet-Based Test): 86 overall, no less than 20 in each of the four component scores

- PBT (Paper-Based Test): 567

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System): a band score of 6.5 or greater (Academic module)


Back to top