*** Please note revised GRE requirements for 2021-22 application cycle due to Covid-19 ***
The Department considers applications only for full-time graduate studies for the PhD degree. We do not consider applications for only the Master's degree or for part-time study.
The nominal requirement for admission is an honours or major degree (B.A. or B.Sc.) with significant research experience. Such experience is usually obtained by completing an undergraduate research course, writing an undergraduate or Master's thesis, or working as a research assistant.
Students applying to the clinical program are advised to complete 42 specific undergraduate credits in psychology as specified by the Ordre des Psychologues du Quebec. Students missing any of the required 42 undergraduate credits must demonstrate proficiency in these areas by taking the required course(s) independently and passing a final exam. Students may complete these courses during the first two years of their graduate program.
When completing the online application form and you are applying to the experimental program, select Masters of Arts or Masters of Science. Should you have completed or will complete a Master's degree, select PhD-T.
- Access the online application form.
- Submit the Application fee.
- Upload Transcripts showing your complete record of study from all university-level institutions. Uploaded copies will be considered unofficial; final, official copies sent by regular mail will be required for admission.
- Request Three letters of recommendation. To do so, on the application form provide the names and e-mail addresses of your referees. McGill will contact these referees and invite them to upload references on your behalf. Reference letters must be on institution letterhead and signed by the referee; the referee must indicate his/her title and full contact information; letters must indicate the student's name and specific program applying to.
- Prepare and upload a Personal statement which describes your interests in psychology and your career goals. Please indicate the area of psychology that you want to study (e.g. developmental, social, etc.) and the name of one or more faculty members with whom you would like to work.
- Prepare and upload your Curriculum vitae outlining your academic history.
- Indicate whether you have Funding or have applied for funding. Applicants should note that the deadline for many scholarships and fellowships is months earlier than the application deadline. Applications for fellowships and scholarships are typically submitted through home university.
- Indicate Professor(s) you would like to work with.
- Indicate the Program track you are applying to - clinical or experimental.
- Indicate Primary area of interest (check more than one if relevant).
GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
Due to challenges applicants to our program may face because of Covid-19, we have modified our GRE requirement for the coming year (for application deadline December 1, 2021) as follows.
We are not requiring the GRE (neither the General nor the Subject Test) from applicants. However, if you have already taken or have elected to take the GRE (General or Subject Test) and wish to share your scores with us, you may do so.
Applicants will not be penalized if they decide to forgo the GRE in the 2021/2022 application round.
The following instructions apply to those who optionally wish to send us their GRE score(s). When registering for the test please ensure that you request that results be sent directly to McGill University. McGill will receive the results directly from the testing agency. If you wish to submit GRE scores, then it would be ideal to receive them by the application deadline.
Institution code is 0935 – Psychology code is 2016.
Proof of English Language Proficiency is required. Please consult the link:
All supplemental application materials and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the McGill admissions processing system. Find complete instructions here.
Department of Psychology
2001 McGill College
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 1G1
Email: gradsec [@] ego.psych.mcgill.ca