Recognized as one of the top medical schools in North America, McGill University’s Faculty of Medicine has a long tradition of excellence. The goal of the medical undergraduate program is to equip the student to meet the most stringent standards of medical practice and professionalism to ensure career-long excellence in whole-person care.
Description of curriculum
The psychiatric component of McGill’s Medical School curriculum includes a variety of courses during the four years of medical school.
Course director: Dr. Brian Greenfield
- The physicianship course, which addresses a number of important psychosocial issues
Course director: Dr. Sherif Karama
- Psychiatric lectures including Introduction to Psychopathology and Suicide, and Mood, Anxiety and Psychotic Disorders
- Two group activities during the Pathology, Treatment and Prevention of Disease Unit
- Introduction to Clinical Medicine teaches students are how to conduct a psychiatric examination, as well as how to function in the psychiatric emergency room
- Introduction to Psychiatric Clerkship prepares students for third year clinical rotations.
Chair: Dr. Trent Semeniuk
- The eight week clerkship in psychiatry occurs during the third year.
- A variety of psychiatric electives are available to interested students
Information about elective options is available from:
- Eva Pilla, McGill Students Electives Coordinator (mcgillelectives [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca)
- Mary Cecere, Visiting Students Electives Coordinator (electives [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca)
- Elizabeth Lefebvre, Career Advisor (careeradvisor [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca)
Procedures for admission
Please visit the Admissions Office of the Faculty of Medicine at McGill website for information
- The Office of Admissions, Equity and Diversity has created a twitter account to post short, unofficial tweets to convey information.
Danielle Bastien (On leave)
Cindy Lui (Acting)
graduate [dot] psychiatry [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Dr. Gregory Meterissian
Tel. 514-934-1934 ext. 42055
gregory [dot] meterissian [at] muhc [dot] mcgill [dot] ca