Q. When applying to the program, do I need to take the Graduate Record Exams (GREs)?
A. No. If you have GRE scores, and wish to send them, you may, but they are not required.

Q. How will I learn about whether I have been accepted into the program?
A. Approximately one month after the semester’s application submission deadline, applicants are notified of the Department’s recommendation. Final decisions about acceptance are then made soon afterward by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral studies. At that time, letters will be sent out.

Q. Are international Master’s student fee waivers available?
A. Yes, either from the Faculty or the Department (but not both). Click on Differential Fee Waivers (DFW) for more details from GPS. Students who do not receive a Faculty level DFW are given $6000 for international tuition assistance. 

Q. Do you have a part-time M.Sc. program?
A. Not presently.

Q. What are the minimum and maximum times allowed to complete the M.Sc.?
A. The minimum time is three (3) semesters, the maximum is three (3) years. 
Click on Time Limitation Policy and Procedures.

Q. Can I earn some of my salary support income by working part-time elsewhere?
A. Graduate students can work up to a maximum of 10 hours per week on non-thesis related activities

Q. Can I earn money as a Teaching Assistant?
A. TA positions are not available.

Q. Do you provide clinical training?
A. No. Although many clinicians complete degrees with us, our graduate programs provide research training.

Q. What happens if I fail a course?
A. Students who receive a failing grade (< 65%) have the following options:

  1. Request a re-read of the original exam or assignment.
  2. Request permission from the course instructor to retake the exam or resubmit other course related materials.
  3. Retake the course.
  4. Take a replacement course. 

If a second failing grade is obtained, students must then withdraw from the program. The F grade will be included in the transcript and GPA calculation, except if the mark for the original exam was revised for the same exam.  Click on Failure Policy for more details.

Q. How do I maintain full time student status after I’ve completed three courses, or in summer?                   
A. Students are considered to be full time in fall and winter while continuing to work on the thesis research project and are continuing in the program in the summer following winter term registration, and do not need to add any further courses. All students are asked to ensure that they register for PSYT-691, 692 and 693 only once each. PSYT-691 registration should be done in the first semester with PSYT-692 and PSYT-693 added at any time.

Q. Can I submit a manuscript-based M.Sc. dissertation?
A. Yes. Click on Manuscript-Based Theses for more details.


Back to top