How to apply
Application Deadline for all programs: January 15th
Entry: September admission
This is a firm deadline and processing of applicaitons will begin after this deadline. Decision will be announced between mid to end of March.
For detailed instructions on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documentsplease see: https://mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/prepare
Students may contact the Graduate Coordinator by email at:angela.fotopoulos(at)mcgill.caor by telephone at514-398-2427.
A complete application is one that includes:
- Duly completed (on-line) McGill University application form.
- Application fee* paid on-line by credit card when completing the application.
- Three (3) letters of reference, from three (3) qualified individuals familiar with your work. The Department does not require that these be on special reference letter forms.
- Transcripts, your complete record of study from each university-level institution attended to date. Uploaded copies will be considered as unofficial: final, official copies will be required once offered admission. Transcripts in languages other than English or French must be uploaded with an English or French translation provided by the institution issuing the transcript or by a certified translator.
- A sample of your written work in philosophy (15-20 pages typed double-spaced).
- A short statement (2-3 pages, typed double-spaced) explaining your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate studies in Philosophy at McGill University.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE); this is not mandatory. However, applicants who are taking or have taken the GRE must arrange for the results of the examination to be sent directly to McGill University (Institution code: 0935).
- Non-Canadian applicants whose mother tongue is not English and who have not completed an undergraduate or graduate degree at a recognized Canadian institution or a recognized foreign institution where English is the main language of instruction must submit documented proof of competence in oral and written English, witnessed by performance in appropriate exam, namely those conducted by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 567 (paper-based) or 86 overall (internet-based) with no less than 20 on each of the four component scores, or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum overall band score of 6.5 or greater. Exam results must be submitted directly from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing Systems) Office. The Institution Code for McGill University is 0935. Detailed information regarding the English language proficiency requirement can be found here: https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/international/apply/proficiency.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring that all application materials are submitted on time (JANUARY 15th). We encourage candidates to apply as early as possible.