Sonia Semenic, RN, PhD
Associate Professor; PhD Program Director
680 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, QC, H3A 2M7
sonia.semenic [at] mcgill.ca
Dr. Sonia Semenic is an Assistant Professor at the Ingram School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University and a Nurse Scientist at the McGill University Health Center, Women’s Health Mission. She is a member of the McGill University Health Center Research Institute, and the Réseau de recherche en interventions en sciences infirmières du Québec (RRISIQ), where she co-leads the knowledge transfer and exchange team. Dr. Semenic completed a Masters of Science (Applied) (1989) and a doctoral degree (2005) at McGill’s School of Nursing, as well as a Canadian Health Services Research Foundation postdoctoral fellowship at the School of Nursing, University of Ottawa (2007). She is a certified lactation consultant with many years of experience as a clinical nurse specialist in maternal child health.
Dr. Semenic is currently coordinator of the Quebec Chapter of AWHONN (Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses). Her research program uses mixed methods, case study and participatory research approaches to examine factors influencing the development and implementation of evidence-informed practices in perinatal health.
Areas of Interest
- Breastfeeding promotion and support
- Perinatal smoking cessation and relapse prevention
- Prenatal screening for maternal risk factors
- Knowledge transfer in nursing
- Implementation of evidence-informed practices in perinatal health
- Health policy decision-making in perinatal health
- Cultural diversities in perinatal health behaviors