The PODS Summer Program is training a new generation of data-driven policy analysts to tackle Canada’s biggest policy problems. In the month of June, PODS Fellows are provided with technical skills in data analysis methods: including R and Python. This knowledge is integrated with policy theory and analysis training. The PODS Fellows are then matched up with Montreal-based organizations for an internship throughout July and August where they use their data mining and analysis skills to answer important, real-world policy questions.
Goals of PODS
Close the skills gap in Canada
- Build a cohort of students with employment-ready, policy-relevant data analysis skills.
- Through this program, students will then learn invaluable data science techniques and policy theory that they can easily apply to their field of study.
Solve urgent public policy issues
- Students will develop and apply core data science techniques to policy questions through a combination of specialized training and internship-style projects with civic and industry partners, delivering meaningful analysis for the mentor organizations.
Build a national movement
- By integrating the necessary skills for quantitative and qualitative research, students will greatly expand their capabilities and shape their future careers.
- PODS is a unique and crucial part of a national movement that will build a foundation to cultivate interdisciplinary and well-rounded scholars.