You Have Applied

About our admissions process and deadlines

The admissions process for graduate studies at McGill University takes place in two stages, and runs from mid-Fall until May. Due to the large number of applications received, it takes time to review and assess candidates’ files.

At the first stage, the Faculty of Law reviews all applications; those that are recommended by the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Faculty of Law are then sent to the University's Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS). Official offers to our programs are made to successful applicants at the second stage of the process.

Some recommendations

The deadline to apply to all graduate law programs (LLM, DCL, Graduate Certificates) is December 20; files must include supporting documents before being forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. As such, candidates must arrange for all required documents to be uploaded via uApply by the deadline of December 20. (Please note that you will only be able to upload your supporting documents after paying the application fee.)

For up-to-date information on your admissions status, please go to the uApply. You will also be notified on uApply if you have been admitted. Please use the uApply communication tool for any inquiries related to your application.

Communication with GPS or Law's Graduate Law Admissions Office regarding applicants and/or application files is limited to those administrative officers responsible for graduate programs, such as Faculty Deans, Faculty Associate Dean (Graduate Studies), Graduate Program Directors, or Graduate Program Coordinators.

International students

Non-Canadian applicants should contact the Canadian Embassy in their home country at least one year prior of their desired program's start date to find out if they require student visas, medical examinations, etc.

Non-Canadians must obtain permission to study from the governments of Quebec and Canada. Immigration Quebec issues the Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ), and Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues federal Study Permits. You may also wish to contact International Student Services for assistance, along with a downloadable Pre-Departure Guide.

Back to top