The Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures offers a flexible programme in Hispanic Studies leading to the degree of Master of Arts. Candidates will receive in the classroom preparation in the culture, intellectual history and literature of Spain and Spanish America, including two guided research projects. For those students holding a B.A. Honours in Hispanic Studies or an M.A. from McGill or another college or university of recognized standing, the Department offers the possibility of doctoral studies leading to the Ph.D. in Hispanic Studies.
- Master of Arts - Hispanic Studies (Thesis)
- Master of Arts - Hispanic Studies (Non-Thesis)
- Doctor of Philosophy - Hispanic Studies
Master of Arts -Hispanic Studies (Thesis)
Master of Arts -Hispanic Studies (Non-Thesis)
Doctor of Philosophy - Hispanic Studies
Preparing to Apply
In order to be admitted to graduate work in Hispanic Studies, candidates must fulfill the following prerequisites:
a) Candidates must possess a B.A. degree with Honours or in certain cases Joint Honours in Hispanic Studies from McGill University, or an equivalent degree from another college or university of recognized standing.
b) Candidates who do not possess the above prerequisites may, with special permission, enter the Department as qualifying students for the purpose of completing these preliminary studies. They may have to take, among other courses, HISP 550, Comprehensive Examination.
Detailed instructions on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documents in the new version, please see:
Deadlines for Receipt of Completed Applications:
Please note that incomplete applications (including letters of recommendation, testing scores (TOEFL, IELTS), transcripts, sample(s) of written work) by the application deadline will not be considered.
For Fall Admission: January 6 (Canadian/Permanent Resident/International).
For Winter Admission: September 15 (Canadian/Permanent Resident)
For Winter Admission: August 1 (International).
Special/Exchange/Visiting: As above.
Should you decide to formally apply, all supplemental application materials and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the McGill admissions processing system.
(complete instructions: www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/submitting-your-documents.
- Online application form.
- Application fee. You must pay a non-refundable fee or your application will not be processed.
- All university transcripts. Those transcripts not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified English or French translation (prepared by a licensed translator).
- Research proposal. Applicants are requested to send a brief statement of their interests and the areas they wish to study within the Department (1 to 3 pages).
- Two letters of recommendation. Those letters not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified English or French translation (prepared by a licensed translator). On the application form you must provide the names and email addresses of at least two professors who are familiar with your academic work. McGill will contact these referees and invite them to upload references on your behalf. Please note that although you can list public domain addresses such as Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo Mail on the application form, references uploaded from these addresses will not be accepted by the Department. Therefore you must list a valid institutional or corporate e-mail address for your referees.
- One or two samples of written work (in PDF format). This can be in the form of a graded paper, a chapter from a thesis, or an academic article.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores for non-native English applicants. This is a requirement of all students applying whose native language is other than English. Results must be on file by application deadline – Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies no longer process applications without official results. Minimum score of 575 or 231 computer based scale. IELTS scores are also acceptable: a band score of 6.5 or greater (Academic module).
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
680 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2M7
info.llcu [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Phone : (514) 398-3650