The Central Accommodation Fund has been established by McGill University in order to streamline and standardize the process for financing workplace accommodations, in order to meet its obligations as an employer under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in Quebec.
The Central Accommodation Fund is available to assist with the accommodation requirements of university employees with disabilities and is administered by the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal – Academic. Employees seeking accommodations on the basis of a disability should follow the guidelines outlined on the Human Resource's website. Requests for the fund should be completed in collaboration with the employee’s supervisor and/or HR advisor.
The following information relates to purchases through the fund:
- Any equipment purchased through the fund will be assigned to the employee while employed at McGill University. If the employee transfers positions within the university, the equipment will follow the employee.
- The fund does not cover any costs associated with transferring equipment (e.g. moving expenses)
- The equipment is to be returned to the Accessibility Advisor if the employee leaves the university, or no longer has need of the accommodation. These items may be redeployed to other staff if appropriate.
- Funding is not retroactive. Reimbursements will not be made for items purchased in a previous fiscal year
- This fund finances the purchase of equipment/services that support an employee in carrying out their job-related functions. Requests to fund equipment/services for events or activities should be directed to the event organizers, and will not be considered.
Accessing the Fund
Requests should be completed in collaboration with the employee’s HR advisor and/or supervisor.
- Employees follow the guidelines on the HR website
- The Request Form can be obtained by writing to the Accessibility Advisor (catherine.roy7 [at] mcgill.ca (email))
- Follow up will be done through the Provost’s Office.
For more information on the Centralized Accommodation Fund, please contact Catherine Roy, Accessibility Advisor (Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal – Academic) by catherine.roy7 [at] mcgill.ca (email) or by telephone at 514-398-4116.