Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel (GREAT) Awards
The Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Occupational Health GREAT Award program is designed to provide funds to support travel to conferences. Students participating in other research training enhancement opportunities, such as travel for fieldwork, archival inquiry, and extra-mural collaborative research within Canada* can also apply. Students may receive only one GREAT Award per year.
*For activities outside Canada, please see the Graduate Mobility Award web page.
- GREAT awards are open to any Master’s or Doctoral student in good standing, registered full-time, and not in time limitation in the Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Occupational Health. Students in "Thesis Evaluation" status are NOT eligible to apply;
- Priority will be given to students who are presenting their own scientific results and who have not previously received a travel award from the University.
- GREAT Awards are NOT for practicum or internship funding.
VALUE OF AWARDS
Awards valued at half the proposed expenses, up to a maximum of $1000, are available to pay for travel, subsistence, conference fees, etc. at the recipient’s discretion. Expenditure must be justified with receipts.
The recipient’s supervisor is expected to provide a monetary contribution to support the student’s travel needs. The minimum supervisor contribution is expected to equal that of the Departmental award. Confirmation of this contribution as well as a short statement regarding the academic value of the activity is to be sent by email to the attention of gradadmin.eboh [at] mcgill.ca (gradadmin.eboh(at)mcgill.ca).
Students registered in the M.Sc. Public Health or M.Sc. A. Occupational Health programs are not required to secure funding from a supervisor.
- Completed on-line application form, including a budget justification;
- Supervisor statement regarding the academic value of activity, and their financial contribution (not required for M.Sc.P.H. or M.Sc.A. OH students;
- Confirmation of conference registration. (May be submitted at a later date if not available at the time of application. It will be required before a payment is issued.)
ATTRIBUTION OF AWARDS
The number of awards attributed will be dependent on the amount of funding available. Recipients of the GREAT awards will be determined by the EBOH Student Awards Committee.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
E-mails announcing competition results will be sent to all applicants approximately 2 to 4 weeks after the application deadline.
The award is paid as a reimbursement of travel expenses. Recipients of the award must provide the Department with original receipts.
- August 15th for conference/research activity held September 1st to December 31st inclusive
- November 15th for conference/research activity held January 1st to April 30th inclusive
- March 15th for conference/research activity held May 1st to August 31st inclusive
The on-line applications form is available HERE.
Dr. Premysl Mike Pelnar Academic Enrichment Award
The Department offers an annual award to a meritorious student in occupational health and safety. The award is designated as the Dr. Premysl Mike Pelnar Academic Enrichment Award.
Established through a generous anonymous donation honouring Dr. Premysl Pelnar, a renowned occupational health physician. Eligibility: Awarded to graduate students registered in the Occupational Health Program to further their training and professional activities in the field of occupational health. Awarded by the Chair of the Department upon consultation with the Faculty. Value: $300 - $600 (or more) per year.
For additional information on awards, visit the link Graduate Fellowships and Awards.