CRRD Trainee Fellowships Fall 2019
The McGill Centre for Research in Reproduction and Development (CRRD) offers an annual fellowship competition for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows training in CRRD member laboratories. The goal of our fellowship program is to fund developing, next-generation scientists who can independently expand the boundaries of scientific knowledge. We wish to award trainees who are committed to research, have great potential for scientific insights and creativity, and have developed a passion for science. To achieve this goal, we implemented a new concept for the award competition in spring 2017 in which:
1) we do not require your research statements and transcripts but do request that you tell us your research specialty and level of training;
2) we will attempt to capture your scientific insights and analytical capability in the form of a written exam; and
3) we will attempt to gain a sense of your passion for science and commitment to research through an interview.
Please see the criteria below to determine your eligibility. The competition is usually held twice a year; however, please note that while this “exam-interview” format continues in the Fall 2019 competition, the next competition will be held only in Spring 2020 (April/May) – this is to shift the competition cycle from September/January to September/April.
The number of awards offered and the amount of each award will depend on the quality and quantity of applications and the availability of funds. Funds will be paid to the trainee as a stipend over the course of one year, to supplement or partially replace their supervisor’s support. Awards are not “cash prizes”, and will be disbursed according to the policies of the student’s & supervisor’s institutional affiliations (McGill, RI-MUHC, CHUM, etc.).
This stipend support will be for one year only. Winners are expected to present an abstract for Research Day and contribute to the conference as session chairs.
Application deadline: Friday, 4 October, 2019 at 12 midnight
- Fellowships are for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are currently studying or will be studying, with an anticipated official start date no later than the beginning of the Fall 2019 term (3 September) under the supervision of one or more CRRD Principal Investigators.
- You are eligible to apply for the scholarship if you are:
- MSc Candidate: no later than MSc2 at time of application.
- PhD Candidate: no later than PhD4 at time of application.
- Postdoctoral Fellow: with less than 2 years of postdoctoral experience at any institutions (in aggregate).
- Note: The style of this award competition (exam & interview) may require some research experience at the lab to be competitive, although the lack of such experience does not affect one’s eligibility.
- Students or postdocs currently holding a government scholarship (NSERC, FQRNT, CIHR, etc.) or any other scholarship/fellowship of $10,000 or greater are not eligible. If a CRRD awardee receives such an award (>$10,000) after receiving the CRRD award, the differential of the two needs to be returned to the CRRD.
- Number of applications per lab is not limited. However, no more than one trainee from a given laboratory will receive the award in any given competition, regardless of training stages (i.e., MSc, PhD, PDF).
- A trainee can receive the CRRD award only once in each of three training stages (i.e., once each during MSc, PhD, or PDF).
- Completed application form only; no cover letters are necessary. The application form will be sent by email to members and will also be available on the CRRD website during open competitions. Your application can be submitted via email at the address indicated in the application form.
Review and awards process:
- Written Exam – Wednesday, 16th October, 2019, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm, at the Glen (room to be announced)
To determine scientific insights and the ability of logical thinking, applicants will write a short essay exam (two questions), to be marked by reviewers. The questions may push you beyond your areas of expertise or knowledge but reviewers are not looking for 100% accuracy. Rather, they expect you to use the knowledge you have and logically work through the problems. Evaluation will be based on how you interpret the data and how you approach the problem.
As the CRRD enjoys a vast range of ethnicities and countries of origin in its membership, the content and logic of your answers are more important than your linguistic skills and range of vocabulary.
Note: Applicants may answer in French, if they prefer. Questions will be asked in English.
Applicants must be available for the exam at the scheduled date/time.
- Interview – to be scheduled 2-4 weeks after the exam.
Based on exam results, applicants will be selected for an interview to extract their passion for science and commitment to research. The date, time, and location of the interview will be arranged with the chosen interviewees and reviewers. Applicants may answer in French during the interview if necessary.
- The reviewers will rank the interviewed applicants and announce the awardees in November/December, 2019. Funding will be awarded retroactively starting on 1 September, 2019 (or the start date of the fall 2019 term at McGill University).
- The Award subcommittee may generate a waiting list of potential awardees for the event that some award funds become available (e.g., an awardee turning down the offer).
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the administrator at crrd [at] mcgill.cacrrd [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Trainee%20Fellowship%202019%20inquiry) (.)
To reiterate, the Fall 2019 competition will be the only one held for the 2019-2020 fiscal year (May 1-April 31)
Fall 2019 Application Form (please print and scan to crrd [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Fall%202019%20Trainee%20Fellowship%20Application) )