Several categories of internships are available:
Unpaid Internships OR Special Topics (in Barbados or Remotely from McGill)
The following list describes internship opportunities available in Barbados. It is different from the BITS field study program (no lectures), and students are considered as interns at the host organizations. Both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible to apply. The dates and duration of internship vary according to projects.
Students may need to travel to Barbados, and are responsible for all expenses associated with the internship. Accommodation can be arranged for homestay or at Bellairs Research Institute. Networking with University of the West Indies (UWI) staff is common for additional support.
Undergraduate students may choose to take a Special Topics course (3 credit):
- Go to Barbados (average stay is 6 weeks) working with a Barbadian mentor OR
- Work remotely from McGill on the same described project doing research under the supervision of the Barbadian mentor (using Skype, FaceTime, etc.).
- Sustainable Barbados Recycling Centre (SBRC)
- Water Usage at the SBRC and Identification and Implementation of Efficient Water Resource Management Strategies. Preference is for M.Sc. Ap. Interns from IWRM (Summer 2017 Internship report by Taghreed Chowdhury and Yingjie Wu), (Fall 2017 Internship in progress Evan Tasker and Olivia Dalati)
- Plastic and e-waste sorting and recycling at SBRC (Summer 2017 Special Topic report by Sara Mikhail)
- Walkers Reserve (formerly Walker's Quarry)
- Williams Solar Company
- Greenland Livestock Research Station
- Central Agronomic Research Station (CARS)
- National Conservation Commission (NCC)
Potential Projects cover topics related to water resources, food production, renewable energy, ecological conservation, agri-tourism and indigenous history, etc. Please check this List of Projects.
Send CV and Preference for projects to danielle.donnelly [at] mcgill.ca
Basic Mobility Award - minimum duration of study abroad (61 days) & minimum credits (6). The award amount varies but is usually $1500.
- Are you interested in the BITS program but concerned about covering the extra costs?
- If you are a full-time undergraduate already receiving need-based aid from a government student financial assistance program and/or McGill’s Bursary & Loan Program, you may qualify for a bursary to help defray these costs! For more information and how to apply: https://mcgill.ca/studentaid/other-funding/eeo
- Download the information sheet for unpaid internships and research opportunities
The FAES Internship Program for undergraduate students offers the options FAES 200 (0 credit) or FAES 300 (3 credit). “Placement must be for a minimum of 10 weeks, minimum at full-time (35h/week) or equivalent, in a position relevant to student's field of academic study.” The Internship Officer at Mac is kendra.gray [at] mcgill.ca (Kendra Gray).
The Macdonald Internship Award. The Internship Officer at Mac is kendra.gray [at] mcgill.ca (Kendra Gray).
Arts Internship Awards for students in Faculty of Arts.
The Walking School Bus (TWSB) is recruiting researchers to work on projects in Uganda and India.
Students may join the expedition trips to Uganda or India, or conduct research remotely.
For those of you who do not know the extent of their work, TWSB supports access to education by providing a holistic approach to educational attainment. This three-prong approach of Transportation, Nutrition, and Curriculum helps students get to school, ensures they’re well fed, and improves their curriculum.
Internships in Barbados and Uganda are eligible for Special Topics or Project credits. In some cases, these can be used towards a McGill Field Study Minor.
Internship Reports - Summer 2017
Identifying the Water Usage at the Sustainable Barbados Recycling Centre and Efficient Water Resources Management Strategies | Taghreed Chowdhury and Yingjie Wu