1. Upon hiring, the Relocation Administrator contacts the staff member regarding relocation, and assigns a moving company to the file.
  2. The moving company contacts the staff member to schedule a moving date and to perform an inventory survey. A weight and volume maxima is imposed. The allowance is directly linked to the number of persons moving and cannot be exceeded. Any overage charges in the weight and/or volume, and/or for an excluded item will be at the staff member’s expense.
  3. The moving company sends the estimate for the move to the Relocation Administrator. Once the estimate is approved, no additions to the inventory can be made.
  4. Once a moving date is set, arrangements for travel and temporary accommodation while the staff member’s goods are in transit are made. The staff member must contact the Relocation Administrator at 514-398-4205 or relocation.apo [at] to initiate this step.


Inclusions and Exclusions

Relocation includes the following:

  • Packing and unpacking services for household goods only
  • Crating services for certain specialty items
  • Transportation of household goods
  • Transportation of one car (domestic and USA only). See Importing a Vehicle into Canada.
  • Full replacement value insurance (up to $150,000) with no deductible. Insurance above this ceiling is at the staff member's expense.
  • Up to 30 days storage-in-transit in Montreal, excluding costs associated with access to the goods while they are in storage.
  • Pick-up and delivery of personal effects from the staff member’s current office to their McGill office, provided the current office is located within a 30 mile radius from the staff member’s current residence. Packing and unpacking of the office is the staff member's responsibility.


The staff member is advised to consult with the Relocation Administrator regarding specific items. The most common exclusions include:

  • Appliance and/or utility connections*;
  • Special dis-/reassembly services *;
  • Shipping charges for boats, trailers, and other large recreational vehicles;
  • Pickup from and/or delivery to a second residence;
  • Building materials, firewood, and propane tanks;
  • Laboratory moves, as these must be arranged through the staff member's department or Faculty;
  • Storage in excess of 30 days;
  • Air shipments
  • Wine and spirits
  • Plants

*The moving company can arrange for a third party to perform these services and bill you directly.


Damage claims

In the event of damage or loss to belongings during the move, the staff member should contact the moving company immediately.

Back to top