The 2018-2019 Academic Salary Policy provided for continuance of the Professional Development Fund, to be used to reimburse expenses incurred by eligible academic staff for professional development.
Each eligible staff member is allowed up to $750 annually. Eligible staff who do not use the full $750 in a given fiscal year may carry forward all, or any unused amount derived over two consecutive years, for a cumulative maximum of $1500.
The Program is operated on the University’s Fiscal Year which is 01 May to 30 April.
The deadline to submit an expense report for the current fiscal year is 15 April.
Eligible staff members hold one of the following active appointments during the relevant reference period at one of the following ranks:
- Tenure-track or tenured Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Full Professors; or
- Tenure-track or tenured Assistant Librarians, Associate Librarians or Full Librarians; or
- Ranked Contract Academic Staff (CAS) Faculty Lecturer, Senior Faculty Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Full Professor, if campus-based and full-time salaried
Staff appointed as Assistant Professor (Special Category) are ineligible for the Program.
Professional development fund expenses must contribute to a staff member’s professional development. Examples of eligible expenses include:
- Membership in scholarly societies
- Membership in professional order or association, if required for the position held
- Computer hardware and software in support of professional development or academic duties
- Registration for scholarly meetings, conferences, and seminars
- Subscriptions to scholarly journals and purchases of scholarly books
- Reimbursement of travel and/or accommodation for meetings, professional conferences or seminars
- Supplement to the Academic Laptop Program*
* Electronic equipment that is purchased in part or in full through the PDF Program is subject to the McGill University IT Asset Management Regulation and must be returned to the University upon the staff member’s departure.
Unsure if an expense is eligible? Ask us: pdf [at] mcgill.ca
The balance of individual Professional Development Fund accounts for staff members in the Faculties of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Engineering, Medicine, and Science are maintained by the Academic Personnel Office. The list of balances is updated quarterly. All others are managed locally.
Request for Reimbursement
The program is administered directly by the Faculties of Dentistry, Education, Law, Desautels Faculty of Management, Science, the Schulich School of Music, the School of Continuing Studies, and Library and Archives.
Please consult your Faculty contact for further instructions.
rosemary.cooke [at] mcgill.ca (Rosemary Cooke) - Director, Administration and Finance
pdf.education [at] mcgill.ca
pina.ricco [at] mcgill.ca (Pina Ricco) - Financial Administrator
Desautels Faculty of Management
venesa.inoperio [at] mcgill.ca (Venesa Inoperio) - Financial Administrator
Schulich School of Music
henry.tin [at] mcgill.ca (Henry Tin) - Manager, Finance
School of Continuing Studies
rosa.greco-pepe [at] mcgill.ca (S)sinikhiwe.maphosa [at] mcgill.ca (inikhiwe Maphosa) - Director, Finance and Operations
ming.han [at] mcgill.ca (Grace Han) - Financial Officer
Library and Archives
donna.hedge [at] mcgill.ca (Donna Hedge) - Library Financial Administrator
francisco.oliva [at] mcgill.ca (Francisco Oliva )- Finance, Planning & Resources Manager
For the Faculties of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Engineering, and Medicine, the program is administered by the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic). Please follow the instructions below to submit your expense for reimbursement.
Professional Development Fund Administrator
Do not send your Professional Development Fund expense reports to the Travel Desk.
Due to the volume of expense reports received by our office, please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I receive the reimbursement?
A reimbursement is made only for out-of-pocket expenses paid by the staff member. As such, the amount reimbursed will be deposited directly into the staff member’s personal bank account (i.e., the account that is used by payroll). An email notification from the Financial Services will be sent once the direct deposit has been made.
Reimbursements cannot be transferred to grants, special funds, FOAPALS and/or procurement cards.
Are original receipts required?
All receipts must be originals. Photocopies are not accepted. If the purchase was made online, a printed receipt is acceptable if the following information is included:
May I request a travel advance?
Reimbursement is made only for out-of-pocket expenses. Travel advances are not allowed, and cancellations will not be reimbursed.
When do I make my request?
All expense reports should be submitted no later than two months following a purchase or date of travel.
Inquiries about the Professional Development Fund should be sent to pdf [at] mcgill.ca.