Importing a Vehicle into Canada

A staff member who imports a car from the US to Canada will be provided with the required documents/instructions to transfer or import the vehicle by the moving company.

A staff member who drives their car from the US to Canada must comply with conditions set out by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Please consult this CBSA link for further information.

A staff member must also comply with Transport Canada regulations regarding the importation of personal motor vehicles into Canada. Vehicles that are less than 15 years in age must comply with Canadian safety and emission standards. A staff member can determine whether their vehicle qualifies for importation under Transport Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicle (RIV) Program at the following website:



To obtain a certification from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, a staff member will need to provide title documents (i.e., ownership certificate), sales receipts, registration, and proof of insurance documentation.


Exporting a Vehicle from the US

US Customs must be notified if a vehicle is being permanently exported from the United States. Regulations state that at land border points:

  • The required documentation must be submitted to US Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
  • The vehicle must be presented to US Customs at the time of export.

US Customs recommends that an owner contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation. For more information, visit Exporting a Motor Vehicle: US Customs and Border Protection.

Back to top