Graduate students in the MSW program can either choose the thesis or field practice option. MSW students in the field practice option must successfully complete 450 hours of field practice in a field setting. MSW placement settings offer the student clinical practice, community intervention, administration/policy development, and/or research methods.
At the graduate MSW level, the focus in the practicum is on advanced practice, building on the skill base and developing a stronger theoretical and critically reflective approach to practice and research.
Field Practice courses are not awarded a letter grade, they are evaluated on a pass/fail basis.
MSW Program Criteria:
MSW Field Placement Option
- Students in the field placement option must successfully complete 450 hours of field practice.
- Students spend 2 days per week in the field.
- Field days are Mondays and Wednesdays. However, meetings and other agency obligations might require the student to work an evening or an alternate time.
- The field placement will be carried out in one field setting during the whole year even though it represents three courses.
MSW students cannot:
- End the practicum early regardless of hours accrued.
- Do their field placement in an agency/setting in which they have worked, or are currently working.
- SWRK 650 Field Work Practicum 1
- SWRK 651 Field Work Practicum 2
- SWRK 660 Field Work Practicum 3