If you've accepted our offer and you're ready to register...
Welcome to the Schulich School of Music, one of the most distinguished and inspiring music schools in North America! You are joining a more-than-century old tradition of music scholarship and performance here at McGill.
Key information for new students
This will guide you from registration through to orientation/advising and your first week of classes.
You can browse our website to find your program requirements, Minor options, information about student life, health & well-being, our facilities, etc. Get in touch with the Student Affairs office if you have questions.
May 15, 2017 (Monday)
Deadline to submit your Practical Instruction request form online. Late registration fees will be charged if you miss this deadline.
June 9, 2017 (Friday)
Orientation session for Cegep Students who have confirmed their acceptance: CSI McGill
June 9-20, 2017
August 14, 2017 (Monday)
Deadline to register for at least one course in order to avoid late registration penalties.
August 26 and 27, 2017 (Saturday & Sunday)
McGill Residence Move-In Day.
August 28, 2017 (Monday)
Mandatory placement exams begin for all students except Jazz Performance (B.Mus. and L.Mus).
August 29, 2017 (Tuesday)
- Discover McGill Day, a one-day campus-wide orientation event for all new students.
- Schulich School of Music orientation.
August 30, 2017 (Wednesday)
- Mandatory placement exams begin for Jazz Performance (B.Mus. and L.Mus.) students.
August 31, 2017 (Thursday)
- Your first tuition payment is due.
September 1, 2017 (Friday)
Tentative date for orchestral instrument ensemble auditions (Strings, Woodwinds, Brass).
September 1, 2017 (Friday)
- Mandatory advising sessions for all new students.
September 4, 2017 (Monday)
Labour Day (public holiday). There are no lectures on this day and administrative offices are closed.
September 5-8, 2017 (Tuesday to Friday)
- Classes start this week!
- Tentative dates for Jazz, Choral, Early Music instruments and Piano ensemble auditions.
You register for all courses online through Minerva. Register for at least one course by August 14, 2017 (Monday) to avoid late registration penalties.
When to register (opening dates):
Scholarship recipients can register for Fall and Winter terms as of:
- Friday, June 9, if admitted from a Quebec CEGEP.
- Friday, June 16, if admitted from a high school or transferring from another university.
All other students can register for Fall and Winter terms as of:
- Monday, June 12, if admitted from a Quebec CEGEP.
- Monday, June 19, if transferring from another university or with advanced standing qualifications such as Advanced Levels, Advanced Placements, French Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, etc.
- Tuesday, June 20, if admitted from high school.
- You should register for courses for the full academic year (Fall and Winter semesters).
- Register for your assigned ensembles after you receive the ensemble audition results.
- You can't register for practical instruction (MUIN) courses yourself. You must submit an online practical instruction request by May 15th to let us know which teacher(s) you want. Afterwards, register for at least one course (MUPD 135 for example) before August 14th. The Performance Department will process your practical instruction request and add the MUIN course for you.
- If you need help with Minerva, watch the Mcgill 101 "Registration Tools" video.
- Your first tuition payment is due on August 31st, for your Fall courses only. You will receive a revised statement in September which includes course changes you have made after meeting with the mandatory September 1st advising day.
- You will receive another fee statement in early December for your Winter courses.
- Visit Student Accounts for all other finance questions, such as:
- How much should I budget for my studies?
- When is the deadline to pay for tuition and fees?
- What funding can I apply for to support my education at McGill?
Orientation days are a great way to meet new and current students, connect with some of your new teachers and meet administrative staff from Student Services.
- June 9, 2017 (Thursday): Orientation session for new students coming from a Cegep: CSI McGill.
- August 29, 2017 (Tuesday) is Discover McGill Day, a one-day campus-wide orientation event for all new students. It is a fun and energetic day for you to experience with your entire incoming class! It starts with a welcome event where you will meet student and service groups that you will be interacting with during your new journey at McGill University. It's also Faculty Orientation day. It's really important to attend, because we will answer your program-specific questions and you will learn how we will support you and your wellbeing here at McGill. You will meet the Schulich School of Music Dean and key representatives from our music departments, such as:
On September 1st, 2017, you must attend a mandatory advising session from 10:00-11:00am.
You will meet the Area Chair or your program advisor, get a personalized program plan and your placement exam results. Advisors will meet you as a group and give program-specific advice, after which you can talk with the advisor on an individual basis.
- B.Mus. Music History students: Contact Prof. Steven Huebner (email: steven.huebner [at] mcgill.ca) to schedule your advising appointment.
- B.Mus. Guitar Performance students: Contact Prof. Garry Antonio (email: garry.antonio [at] mcgill.ca) to schedule your advising appointment.
For all other programs, refer to this schedule:
|B.Mus. & L.Mus.||Brass||C-411||
A-410 (inside the music library)
|B.Mus. & L.Mus.||Early Music - baroque viola, lute and recorder||
|B.Mus.||Faculty Program - Jazz||
|B.Mus. & L.Mus.||Jazz Performance||
|B.Mus. & L.Mus.||Percussion||C-310||10:00-11:00am|
|B.Mus. & L.Mus.||Strings||
|B.Mus. & L.Mus.||Woodwinds||
|B.Mus. & L.Mus.||Voice||
Everyone must take placement exams in theory, musicianship and keyboard proficiency. For study samples, see Admissions.
Placement exams start on:
- August 28, 2017 (Monday) for all B.Mus. and L.Mus. students except Jazz Performance / Faculty Jazz.
- August 30, 2017 (Wednesday) for Jazz Performance (B.Mus. and L.Mus.) and Faculty Jazz students.
You need to register for one or more ensembles while you are taking practical instruction (MUIN) courses. You are responsible for checking your program's ensemble requirements. For information, see your Program page.
You must audition in order to be placed in an ensemble. Ensemble auditions start in late August and run until September 8th. For audition schedules and ensemble descriptions, visit our Ensembles section.
If you have any questions, contact Student Affairs (email: studentaffairs.music [at] mcgill.ca | Tel: 524-398-4541).
We look forward to a great year with you!
Photo by Tam Lan Truong: McGill Symphony Orchestra students in Toronto for their Koerner Hall debut (2015).