Agricultural Economics is a field of applied economics that aims to optimize the ways we produce and distribute food. This program will give you a foundation in agriculture and international development, food systems, trade and natural resource management and policy.
In this flexible, interdisciplinary major, you can take courses in science, marketing, finance, resource economics and public policy. You can work alongside students in several faculties, including the Desautels Faculty of Management and the Faculties of Arts and Science.
This major must be taken with at least one of the following specializations:
- Agri-business*: Financial and market analysis, and the appropriate policies for agriculture and food systems; understanding agriculture and food systems; and specialized skills in business management
- Environmental Economics: Economics integrated with biological and environmental sciences; environmental policies and management of natural resources
- Professional Agrology*: Agrology encompasses the science and technology required for agricultural production
* Membership in the Order of Agrologists of Quebec (OAQ) requires students to take both of the specializations marked with an asterisk. It is also possible to qualify for membership through the Agro-Environmental Sciences major, or through the program in Bioresource Engineering.
Our graduates work in a wide range of careers. You could work in government, non-profit organizations, environmental organizations, international development, or in the private sector, including the multibillion-dollar agri-food industry.
- Agri-business management
- Farm management
- Management of natural resources
- Environmental Economist
- Policy Analyst
- Banking, finance, marketing (agri-food industry)
As a student in Agricultural Economics, you can take courses like:
Minors are a great way to customize your academic experience. Many students use minors to pursue interests outside their major, while others choose minors to complement their degree.
Discover these related majors and specializations:
Ready to apply?
For this program, you'll need to apply to the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Check the full admission requirements for information about deadlines and whether supporting documents are required as part of your application.