December 11 - 13, 2023
Would you like to design or redesign one of your courses and enhance your teaching skills?
After three years of online events, TLS is pleased to offer the return of the Course Design Workshop (CDW) - on campus!
Join a group of fellow faculty members led by TLS facilitators to discuss strategies for course design and teaching that focus on enhancing student learning. Bring an existing course or your ideas for designing a new one. You will leave this workshop with new insights about teaching and a draft Course Plan.
During this workshop you will:
- Become familiar with learning-centered course design principles and strategies.
- Apply these principles to the (re)design of one of your courses.
- Develop an in-depth Course Plan, which you can use to help you prepare your course outline.
- Exchange feedback with peers to improve course design and teaching approaches.
The workshop has four components:
- Pre-workshop preparation:
Participants will be asked to complete a short questionnaire and read an article.
- Day one:
The workshop includes interactive activities, mini lectures, and exercises where participants apply course design principles to a specific course in their discipline. See Agenda tab for more info.
- Day two:
Participants exchange feedback on their assessment plans and consider strategies to prepare students to succeed on their assignments. See Agenda tab for more info.
The myCourses site offers participants access to workshop content and resources to help with course planning. Participants can also engage in discussions on topics related to course design and teaching.
The CDW is two full days of “class” time; time for reflection and individual work is in addition and will vary on an individual basis.
Dates - May 2023:
- Day 1: Tuesday May 9, 9:00am to 4:30pm
- Day 2: Thursday May 11, 9:00am to 4:00pm
- On campus: Adams Building room 211 (3450 University, 2nd floor)
TLS is committed to fostering an equitable and inclusive campus community. We hold the Course Design Workshop in an accessible classroom that includes a height-adjustable table.
Registration is currently closed.
For further information about the Course Design Workshop, please tls [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Course%20Design%20Workshop) (email us).