External electives policy

Master of Information Studies students may be granted permission to take up to 12 credits (4 courses) of elective courses offered outside of the School, either at McGill or at other universities; with prior approval, using the form below. The total number of permissible credits will depend on factors such as fulfilment of MISt program requirements, and are subject to approval by your academic advisor, the School, McGill Graduate Studies, and the external institution.

Prior approval by the School is required for any course outside the School using the request for approval form below; students are not automatically guaranteed a maximum of 12 external credits.

To be eligible for consideration, courses:

  • Must be an academic course at the graduate level (500-, 600-, or 700-level). Non-academic continuing studies courses do not qualify.
  • Must have a substantial and demonstrated difference in content than any related SIS course, OR are not offered by SIS but are related to the student’s degree at SIS.

Please note: In order that graduation is not delayed, it is recommended that students do not take external courses in their final semester.


Contact your academic advisor with a completed application (i.e., a completed application form along with all supporting information as described within it) to discuss the external course and MISt program requirements. Forward the academic advisor’s approval along with all application documents to the gpdm.sis [at] mcgill.ca (MISt Graduate Program Director). This process is mandatory for any course external to SIS (either at McGill or at other institutions). You will be notified of the decision by email. If approved by the School, students interested in taking courses at other Canadian institutions must then complete and submit an inter-institutional credit transfer request. See forms below

Inter-institutional credit transfer request forms

**Below is a list of courses that have previously been approved.  This list does not guarantee approval, and you must still complete the request for approval from and obtain permission before registering.

PDF icon the_list_of_courses_outside_of_sis_may32019.pdf

Questions? Please contact your academic advisor.

Back to top