Enhanced Skills Year
This year-long program provides trainees with a broad clinical experience in a variety of institutional and community settings. Program goals include:
- Development of expertise in pain and symptom management, and in addressing the psychological, emotional and spiritual needs of those with advanced life-threatening illness.
Advanced clinical experience in the full spectrum of cancer care through inpatient, consultation, and home care services and through a variety of rotations (e.g. oncology, radiation oncology, pain and cachexia clinics)
Pursuit of academic and research goals with a network of residents and professionals from across Canada
The program's partner institutions include the McGill University Health Centre, Jewish General Hospital, Saint Mary's Hospital Centre, Teresa Dellar Palliative Care Residence, and Mount Sinai Hospital Montreal.
Accredited by the College of Family Physicians, the program requires applicants to have completed residency in Family Medicine.
Please find more information on our program and how to apply at: https://www.mcgill.ca/familymed/education/postgrad/enhancedskillsprograms/pc
Elective Monthly Rotations
- Ward, consult service, day hospital, and home visit experience
- Additional interdisciplinary learning through rounds and journal clubs
To coordinate a monthly rotation in Palliative Care
- McGill residents should contact their program teaching office.
- Non McGill residents can also contact the McGill Post Graduate Medical Education office: Education Office
Below are some testimonials from rotations across our sites:
"One of the most caring, knowledgeable staff I have ever worked with. She practices patient centered care constantly. I learn simply by watching her interaction with patients. She's the type of doctor that all physcians strive to be but often fall short".
"Terrific clinician and teacher. Very compassionate. Patient and understanding to resident schedule and learning needs. Supportive and always present for discussion and teaching. Great MD."
"An exceptional resour ce for palliative care learners. A wealth of knowledge is obtained after a few moments of interaction."
For more detailed information about either program