AECRP CORE RESEARCH FACILITIES
The core research facilities located in the Genome building (740 Doctor Penfield Avenue, Suite 3100) are a communal research facility that is directly overseen by the Alan Edwards Center for Research on Pain. The space has been designed with three separate wings to include wet lab facilities, pre-clinical behavioural research, and clinical behavioural research. In addition, the facility is linked to the small animal fMRI unit operated by the Small Animal Imaging Laboratory (SAIL). Conceived as an evolving collaborative space for interdisciplinary pain research, the core facilities offer space and equipment to members who are interested in expanding their research outside the constraints of their own laboratories.
Currently the AECRP core facilities houses:
- One clinical behavioural research testing suite
- Three pre-clinical behavioural research testing suites (2 mice, 1 rat)
- A pre-clinical surgical suite + fixation set up
- Wet-lab facilities
- 7 tesla small animal fMRI
- Benches and workstations for temporary and semi-permanent occupancy
In order to gain access to these facilities, please contact:
Core Research Technician
Email:lina.naso [at] mcgill.ca
Tel: 514.398.7203 ext. 09254
A booking system for all facilites and some equipment is available.
To gain access and receive a password please contact: Lina Naso
Lina.Naso [at] mcgill.ca
CLINICAL BEHAVIOURAL RESEARCH TESTING SUITE
This suite is fully equipped to perform detailed sensory examination of human subjects, including Quantitative Sensory Testing (QST).
List of Equipment:
- Soundproof, humidity and temperature (0.5 deg C) controlled room
- Testing chairs (one can be reclined to full Trendelenburg position)
- PATHWAY Pain & Sensory Evaluation System (Medoc), including the model CHEPS (Contact Heat- Evoked Potential Stimulator) and the model ATS (Advanced Thermal Stimulator). Using contact thermal probes, the PATHWAY allows the evaluation of cold and warm detection thresholds, cold pain and heat pain detection thresholds, tolerance thresholds as well as the application of supra-threshold painful stimuli of predetermined temperatures. The CHEPS provides a fast rise time of up to 70C/s. A standard and a MRI-compatible CHEPS probe (diameter: 27 mm) are available as well as a standard and a MRI-compatible ATS probe 30 mm x 30 mm and an additional standard ATS probe 16 mm x 16 mm.
- NESLAB RTE-111 refrigerated /heated bath and circulator (ThermoFisher). The water bath has a volume of 12 (L) x 20 (W) x 15 (D) cm3 and maintains the water at a predetermined temperature between -25C and +150C. Cold or hot water immersions are for example used for tonic pain stimuli of a large surface.
- Von Frey filaments (Stoelting) for the application of mechanical punctuate stimuli in the noxious and non-noxious range.
- Von Frey Filaments OptiHair for the application of mechanical punctuate stimuli .125mN - 512mN range (MARSTOCK nervtest).
- Rydel-Seiffer tuning fork 64/128Hz for semi-quantitative assessment of vibration thresholds.
- Two types of algometers for the application of (deep) pressure stimuli: Either electronic algometer (JTech Medical) (two tips available: either plane surface with 1 cm diameter or concave tip with 2 cm diameter for e.g. joint examination) or manual algometer (tip surface: 1 cm diameter).
- Hand grip dynamometer (North Coast) enabling hand contractions at a predetermined force (range: 0 to 30 pounds/square inch).
- Laser Doppler MoorLDI-2 (Moor Instruments Limited) for measurement of blood flow in the microcirculation of large body areas.
- 2-point discriminator (TouchTest)
- Pin wheel
- Reflex hammer
- Examining Bed
PRE-CLINICAL BEHAVIOURAL RESEARCH TESTING SUITES
The facility currently houses three pre-clinical testing rooms one for rats and two for mice. These rooms are fully equipped to perform the majority of standard pre-clinical assays including basics for personal equipment (gloves, masks) cleaning, timers and weigh balance for animals. The following assays are available for both rats and mice unless otherwise specified:
- Von Frey filaments (Stoelting) and raised wire mesh platforms for the application of mechanical punctuate stimuli in the noxious and non-noxious range + individual enclosures
- Radiant heat paw withdrawal assay (multiple manufacturers)
- Radiant heat tail withdrawal assay (ITCC Inc.)
- Cold/Hot Plate (Ugo Basile and ITCC Inc.)
- Grip force meter (Ugo Basile, mouse only)
- Elevated plus-maze (rat only)
- T-Maze (rat only)
- Accelerating rotarod assay (Ugo Basile and ITCC Inc.)
- Incapacitance meter (ITCC Inc.)
- Open field assay, including camera for behavioral recordings
- Plexiglass chambers for observation of nociceptive behaviours
- Dynamic Plantar Aesthesiometer (Ugo Basile)
- Thermal Place Preference Test ( Bioseb)
PRE-CLINICAL SURGICAL SUITE
A fully equipped surgical suite is available for mouse and rat surgery and fixation. The suite includes:
- Array of surgical instruments, light source, hair clipper.
- Disposables such as blades, syringes & needles, absorbent pads, masks and gloves
- Isoflurane anesthesia machine equipped with enriched oxygen, a Stoelting FlowVac Gas Scavenger evacuation system,induction chamber, nose pieces, heating source, bench, and LABCONCO fumehood that capture Isoflurane Anesthetic
- Infusion pump Harvard Apparatus
- Mini-pump variable flow
The AECRP core lab facility contains the following standard laboratory equipment:
- An array of laboratory glassware such as beakers, graduated cylindars, flasks, tube racks on top of disposables such as gloves, masks, pipette tips, eppendorf tubes and conical vials, steel lab carts, thermometers, -10C to 120,-35to 50C, timers.
- Eppendorf vairable speed centrifuge
- PCR Machine (Bio-Rad)
- Electrophoresis (Bio-Rad)
- pH Meter ACCUMET AB15
- Analytical balance (Denver Instruments)
- Vortex (Maxi-Mix)
- Oven (Boekel)
- Pipettes (set of 4 from Fisher Scientific, range 0.5 - 1000 ml)
- Eppendorf variable speed centrifuge
- Chemical fume hoods
- Hazardous material safety cabinets
- Upright freezer -86C (Fisher Scientific)
- Freezer -20C
- Refrigerator 4C (VWR)
- Surgical Microscope
- Nikon high power microscope
- Cole Parmer ultrasonic bath
- Cole Parmer hot plates
- Heavy duty cylinder hand truck
- Three sinks equipped with distilled water
- Built-in vacuum and air systems
- Controlled substance storage cabinets
- Veia hot-plate stirrer 7x 7
- SL16R Centrifuge (Thermo Scientific): *fixed angle rotor, *TX200 swing bucket rotor
- Precellys Cryolys 24 Dual- homogenizer (Medicorp)
- Magpix System
- Flow Cytometer- The Guava (Millipore)
7 TESLA SMALL ANIMAL FMRI
Dr. Rick Hoge
E-mail: rick.hoge [at] mcgill.ca
BENCHES AND WORKSTATIONS FOR TEMPORARY AND SEMI-PERMANENT OCCUPANCY
The AECRP provides benches and workstations for temporary and semi-permanent occupancy. These resources can be used as overflow space for research groups with limited space or as a research outpost for clinical investigators without regular access to wet lab facilities. Access to AECRP infrastructure such as internet, scanning, printing and laboratory equipment are included. To inquire about rates and availability, please contact:
Lina Naso, Core Research Technician
Email: lina.naso [at] mcgill.ca
Tel: 514.398.7203 ext. 09254