All drivers must have a valid driver’s license and a minimum of 3-years driving experience, be approved by the Department, and appear on McGill's list of insured drivers. For field courses and field trips within courses, approved drivers can include (1) faculty/staff, (2) Teaching Assistants employed by the University, and (3) graduate or undergraduate students who are 21 years of age or older (25 years old where possible).
When possible and especially for longer trips, there should be a minimum of two drivers per vehicle. The upper daily limit on driving per individual driver is 8 hours per day with regular breaks.
For small groups, use of passenger vans/minivans (e.g., 7-passenger minivans) is the generally accepted means of travel. Under no circumstances is the use of 15-passenger vans permitted. Buses should be hired for for larger groups, depending on the length of the course and availability.
All regulations of the Quebec Highway Code must be followed, including the use of seat belts by all occupants. In Quebec, drivers are responsible for non-licensed-passengers' seat-belt infractions.
The use of personal vehicles is not recommended, but if used, faculty/staff should ensure that their insurers are aware that the vehicle is registered for both personal and business use. Student-owned vehicles should not be used.
When transporting students by watercraft, all passengers must wear appropriate safety devices, and all craft operators must hold a valid Pleasure Craft Operator Card or be qualified aboriginal guides. The leasing of large vessels (over 10 meters/34 feet) must be reported to Risk Management and Insurance.
Rental vehicles: the rental contract should be signed by a faculty/staff member and the name of the University must appear on the contract. The principal driver and all alternative drivers must be registered with appropriate insurance purchased so that all drivers are covered for both liability and collision coverage. Insurance provided by credit cards is generally not adequate for business-related rentals.
University-owned vehicles: all drivers must be registered with Ian Ritchie who will coordinate the driver database with the Risk Management and Insurance Office using the appropriate driver data form: Driver Data Form
Natural Resource Sciences' vehicles:
- Current NRS fleet consists of
2008 Dodge Caravan 7 passengers 2005 Chevrolet Silverado pickup 5 passengers 4-wheel drive, equipped for towing 2001 Ford F150 pickup 5-6 passengers
- Driver approval is carried out by Ian Ritchie (ian.ritchie [at] mcgill.ca, MS 2-068) and typically consists of a 20-minute driving evaluation.
- Vehicles are to be used for work purposes only
- Vehicles are rented at the rate of $0.25/km and $4/hr if charged to an NRS FOAPAL or $0.25/km and $5/hr if charged to a non-NRS FOAPAL. In both cases a maximum period of 10 hours per calendar-day will be charged. Charges include fuel and insurance coverage ($1000 deductible). Monthly rates can be arranged when the vehicle is off-Campus for extended periods. Rentals involving towing a trailer will have an additional charge.
- Vehicle reservations are made at http://nrs-staff.mcgill.ca/mrbs. Contact Ian Richie for a username and password.
- Drivers are responsible for all parking and moving-violation infractions.
- Drivers are required to fill out the vehicle's log sheet daily.
- Vehicles are to be returned daily to the Vehicle Compound located off the main Macdonald-Stewart parking lot (east of Parasitology) unless other arrangements have been made with Ian Ritchie. Vehicles are to be parked “back-end first” to provide access to the front of the vehicle.
- Additional charges will be applied for vehicles returned unreasonably dirty or with less than 1/4 tank of fuel.
- Any mechanical failures, accidents, or other vehicle issues must be reported promptly to Ian Ritchie.