Hôtel-Dieu de MontréalPublisher: Illustrated Post Card Co., Montreal-No. 150
Hôtel-Dieu Hospital. Courtyard entrance.
Hôtel-Dieu, one of the first hospitals established in North America, was founded by Jeanne Mance in 1644. Buildings on its first site on St Paul Street in Old Montreal burned and were rebuilt several times. In 1861, the Hospital moved along with its orphanage and monastery to the southeastern slope of Mount Royal at the corner of Pine and Saint Urbain Street. In 1909, a statue dedicated to the memory of Jeanne Mance was unveiled in the Hospital courtyard. The Hospital enlarged considerably over the following years, particularly in the 1940s with the addition of Le Royer, Jeanne Mance and de Bullion Pavilions. In 1996, it amalgamated with the Notre-Dame and St. Luc Hospital to form the Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM). Following the move of the Hospital to the new building complex in downtown Montreal in 2017, Hôtel-Dieu was closed for in-patient care. However, it continues to operate outpatient clinics.Publisher: Unknown
Hôtel-Dieu Hospital. Entrance.
Publisher: International Post Card Co., Montreal-No. 2038 Publisher: Novelty Manufacturing & Arts Printing Co., Montreal
Hôtel-Dieu Hospital. South face showing central chapel, hospital building (right) and monastery (left).
Hôtel-Dieu Hospital. Pharmacy. Publisher: Illustrated Postcard Co., Montreal-No. 938
Hôtel-Dieu Hospital, view across park towards the east.