Due to the Covid-19 situation, all necessary signatures should be electronic.
Because of the high volume of applications we receive at this time of the year, and in order to avoid system overload, please submit your applications and attachments through the webform during working hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-4:00 pm.
NEW WEBFORM SUBMISSION PROCESS
All categories: April 16, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Conditions of award:
- Please note that students who are already in MSc 2 and are not fast-tracking to a PhD program, and PhD 5 or later students are not eligible to apply.
- Students who will be in MSc 2 as of September 1, 2021 are eligible to apply. In the application form, applicants should select MSc 1.
- Please also note that students are not eligible to combine McGill's Internal Studentship award with any other Internal/External funding valued at $10,000 or more.
- Students must notify our office of any other funding received during the same academic year (2021-2022 ) as soon as possible (valued at $10,000 or more) and decline the offer of award from the competition. Funding received from supervisors as stipend is not considered as award.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required documents, are received at the Faculty of Medicine Research and Graduate Studies Office via E-mail. Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
- Internal Studentships are open to highly qualified Faculty of Medicine graduate students who are registered full-time in a research training program (Thesis) leading to an MSc or PhD degree.
- Students who apply for a Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Internal Studentships are automatically considered for every award for which they are eligible.
Eligibility of students and supervisors:
- Students must be already registered full-time in a Faculty of Medicine graduate research training program.
- At the time of application, student must be in MSc1 for Masters level students or between PhD1 and PhD4 for Doctoral level students. MSc 2 students must have already been accepted to fast-track.
- Successful applicants must be registered at McGill University Faculty of Medicine when applying and for the duration of the award.
- Students may not hold more than three years of Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentship funding.
- Applicants are required to apply to external and internal funding sources for which they are eligible. Priority will be given to excellent students who are not eligible for other external funding.
- Internal Studentships are not automatically renewable. However, recipients are eligible to submit a new application to the full competition in subsequent years.
- MD/PhD students are not eligible to apply for Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentships. They should consult the Director of the MD/PhD program regarding funding for which they are eligible.
- Residents receiving remuneration from the RAMQ while pursuing a Masters or PhD degree are not eligible to apply to the Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentships program.
- A supervisor must be a McGill or IRCM Professor, Associate Professor or an Assistant Professor.
Number of Applications per Supervisor
- A supervisor cannot have more than two applicants apply to the Studentship or Postdoctoral Fellowship program at any time. (i.e. 1 Internal Studentship + 1 internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicant; 2 Internal Studentships applicants; or 2 Internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants).
Value and duration of support
- Internal Studentships are tenable for one year starting September 1, 2021. The Faculty of Medicine contribution for an MSc student is $10,000 and for a PhD student is $12,000. Supervisors are expected to supplement funded applicants according to the departmental policy.
Application Instructions: New procedure
- Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
- No additional pages are allowed, except where specifically indicated.
- Applicants are not to provide a separate CV.
- Applicants must provide a copy of their complete university academic record to date, including undergraduate transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Please arrange transcripts in chronological order starting with the most recent. International transcripts must be in English or French. CGPA calculation Sheet should be included with any non-McGill transcript.
Only the current version of the application form with all required signatures will be accepted.
The file is to be named as follows: LastName_FirtsName_studentship.pdf
(e.g. Smith_John_studentship.pdf) and upload with our Webform.
Application Check List:
Please create your final PDF according to the check list below in the order its given before submitting through the WEBFORM:
- Studentship Application Form: - studentship_competition_application_form_2021.docx
- Publication List: – Please attach a complete list of your most recent publications. For publications in press, attach a copy of the letter of acceptance. For publications submitted, indicate the journal name and attach a copy of the cover letter to the journal or an email from the editor indicating receipt of the manuscript.
- All graduate and undergraduate transcripts: – Unofficial transcripts are acceptable and can be obtained from the Department's Graduate Studies Coordinator or from web-base sources, such as Minerva.
- CGPA. Calculation document: - Applicants who have studied outside of Quebec are required to provide their CGPA using the GPA calculation sheet: gpacalculationspreadsheet.xls
- For additional information on CGPA calculation using the GPA Calculation Sheet, please contact your department.
- Supervisor biosketch form: - -Applicant's primary supervisor must complete the Biosketch form for the student to upload: new_supervisors_biosketch.docx
The last part of the application should be confidential and submitted directly to: submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca.
- 2 Letters of support – a confidential letter of support from the primary supervisor, and one from someone other than the applicant's current supervisor(s) must be received directly from the referees to the appropriate email address.
- Co-supervisor cannot be the second referee.
- Please note that reference letters submitted by the applicant's will not be accepted.
The following points should be covered in the letter of support:
- Critical Thinking: Judicious evaluation of all information, regardless of its source
- Independence: Pursuit of knowledge or taking of action on own initiative, seeking guidance only when appropriate
- Perseverance: Determined persistence in pursuit of goals despite obstacles or discouragement
- Originality: Imagination or ingenuity in problem solving
- Organizational skills: Systematic, careful planning and coordination of activities
- Interest in discover: An inquiring mind and a strong desire to pursue new knowledge
- Communication skills: Effective interpersonal and written communication in work or study environment
The letters must be submitted electronically as a PDF file. The file is to be named as follows: studentLastName_studentFirstInitial_studentshipletter.pdf (e.g. Smith_J_studentship.pdf) and sent by email to submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca.
|Evaluation Criteria||Rating for MSc Student||Rating for PhD Student|
|Quality of Research||/4||/4|
|Publications and Presentations||/3||/5|
|Letters of Support||/3||/3|
Once received, the applications will be reviewed by the Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Awards Committee (PGAC).
Announcement of Results:
Candidates will be informed of results Starting August 2021.
Please contact Nishat Shabnam by E-mail at gradstudies.med [at] mcgill.ca if you have questions or need help with the application process.