Conditions of Award
- Successful applicants must remain registered in their graduate program for the full duration of the award. Awards will be pro-rated accordingly if the student finishes 1 or more terms in advance of the award term (September 1st through August 31st)
- Please also note that students are not eligible to accept McGill's Internal Studentship award if they hold other internal or external funding valued at $10,000 or more.
- Students must notify our office of any other funding received during the same academic year (2023-2024) as soon as possible (valued at $10,000 or more) and decline the offer of award from our competition. Funding received from supervisors as a stipend and Graduate Excellence Funds are not considered awards.
Student Eligibility Criteria
- Please note that students who are already in M.Sc. 2 and are not fast-tracking to a Ph.D. program, and Ph.D. 5 or later students are not eligible to apply.
- Students who will be in M.Sc. 2 as of September 1, 2023, are eligible to apply. In the application form, applicants should select M.Sc. 1.
- At the time of application, students must be already registered and actively studying full-time in a MSc-Thesis or PhD program in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, or the Biological and Biomedical Engineering, Integrated Program in Neuroscience, or Quantitative Life Sciences graduate program with a supervisor who holds an appointment in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- At the time of application, masters level students must be M.Sc.1, and doctoral level students must be between Ph.D. 1 and Ph.D. 4. Students who are M.Sc. 2 at the time of application must have already fast-tracked to a Ph.D. program (students who started MSc in Fall term) or have been accepted to be fast-tracked to a Ph.D. program (students who started in Winter term) prior to accepting the award. M.Sc. 3 students are not eligible to accept funding.
- M.D./Ph.D. students who entered the joint program in September 2022 and later are eligible to apply for Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Internal Studentships. Students who began the joint program prior to September 2022 should consult the Director of the M.D./Ph.D. program regarding funding for which they are eligible.
- Medical residents receiving remuneration from the RAMQ while pursuing a Master's or Ph.D. degree are not eligible to apply for Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Internal Studentships. Applicants are required to apply to external and internal funding sources for which they are eligible.
- Most Internal Studentships are not automatically renewable. However, so long as they are still eligible, students are eligible to apply to the competition again in subsequent years. Students may not hold more than three years of Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Internal Studentship funding.
- Students who apply for Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Internal studentships are automatically considered for every award for which they are eligible.
Supervisor Eligibility and Number of Applications
- Supervisors must hold a primary appointment as an assistant, associate or full professor in a Department within the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences OR hold an appointment at IRCM with adjunct professor status in a Department within the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- Individual supervisors cannot have more than two of their trainees apply to any competition, graduate or postdoctoral. (i.e., 1 internal studentship applicant and 1 internal postdoctoral fellowship applicant; 2 internal studentships applicants; or 2 internal postdoctoral fellowship applicants).
Value and Duration of Support
- Internal studentships are tenable for one year starting September 1st of the year in which they are awarded. The value of a Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Internal Studentship is $10,000 for a M.Sc. student and $12,000 for a Ph.D. student.
- Supervisors must agree to fund the student according to the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences’ minimum funding policy, including a minimum 10% supplement according to the value of the award.
All applications must be submitted through the Webform.
Deadline for all Categories: Monday, May 8th, 2023
BEFORE submitting, your final PDF MUST be arranged according to the check list below, in the order given.
- Studentship Application Form: - (Currently Unavailable)
- Publication List: Please attach a complete list of your most recent publications. For publications in press, attach a copy of the letter of acceptance. For publications submitted, indicate the journal name and attach a copy of the cover letter to the journal or an email from the editor indicating receipt of the manuscript.
- All Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts are acceptable and can be obtained from the Department's Graduate Studies Coordinator or from web-based sources, such as Minerva.
- CGPA Calculation Document: Applicants who have studied outside of Quebec are required to provide their CGPA using the GPA calculation sheet: gpacalculationspreadsheet.xls. For additional information on CGPA calculation using the GPA Calculation Sheet, please contact your department.
- Supervisor Biosketch Form: Applicants’ primary supervisor must complete the Biosketch form for the student to upload: new_supervisors_biosketch.docx
- The application file is to be named as follows:
- (e.g. Smith_John_studentship.pdf) and uploaded to the Webform.
Letters of Support
- Two confidential letters of support are required to be sent directly to submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca. One letter must come from the primary supervisor, and one from someone other than the applicant's current supervisor(s).
- Co-supervisor cannot be the second referee.
- Reference letters submitted by the applicants will not be accepted.
- The letter of support must describe how the student/trainee has demonstrated the following attributes:
- Critical Thinking: Judicious evaluation of all information, regardless of its source
- Independence: Pursuit of knowledge or taking of action on own initiative, seeking guidance only when appropriate
- Perseverance: Determined persistence in pursuit of goals despite obstacles or discouragement
- Originality: Imagination and/or ingenuity in problem solving
- Organizational Skills: Systematic, careful planning and coordination of activities
- Interest in Discovery: An inquiring mind and a strong desire to pursue new knowledge
- Communication Skills: Effective interpersonal and written communication in work or Study environment
- The letters must be submitted electronically as a PDF file. The file is to be named as follows:
- studentLastName_studentFirstInitial_studentshipletter_referee’s last name.pdf
- (e.g. Smith_J_studentship_Jones.pdf) and sent by email to submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca.
- *Late, incomplete, missing documents or handwritten applications will not be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required documents are received at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences’ Research and Graduate Studies office via e-mail.
- *No additional pages are allowed, except where specifically indicated.
- *Applicants are not to provide a separate CV.
- *Applicants must provide a copy of their complete university academic record to date, including undergraduate transcripts, arranged in chronological order starting with the most recent. Unofficial transcripts are also acceptable. International transcripts must be in English or in French. The CGPA calculation sheet should also be included with any non-McGill transcript.
- *Only the current version of the application form with all required signatures will be accepted.
|Evaluation Criteria||Rating for MSc Student||Rating for PhD Student|
|Quality of Research||/4||/4|
|Publications and Presentations||/3||/5|
|Letters of Support||/3||/3|
Candidates will be informed of the results beginning in August 2023.
Any Further Questions?
Please contact Patrick Robinson at gradstudies.med [at] mcgill.ca