The Policy Lab brings together the key elements of the Max Bell School MPP program including the principles of policy design, the difficulty of conducting thorough analysis with incomplete data, the trade-offs between stakeholders’ interests, the challenges posed by a partisan political landscape, and how to communicate complex policy ideas effectively.
The following organisations and institutions have partnered with the Max Bell School of Public Policy for the Policy Lab:
Government of Canada
Become a partner
Partners play a critical role in the success of the Policy Lab. Each partner provides a dedicated lead that ensures the following responsibilities, which represents 2-3 hours per month between January and July:
- Ensure the presence of key participants and subject matter experts during the meetings and for the final review within the windows of availability provided
- Provide feedback in a timely fashion, preferably within one week of request
- Minimize changes to the policy challenge once the Policy Lab has begun
Policy Lab partners are asked to provide the following before the start of the academic year:
- A dedicated lead within the partner organization who will be the main point of contact
- A financial contribution to the administrative and out-of-pocket costs of the Policy Lab
If your organization is interested in becoming a Policy Lab partner, please contact us at maxbell.school [at] mcgill.ca
How it works
The Lab groups students into small project teams that work to address a specific policy challenge for a real-world partner: either a government, business, international institution, or an NGO.
These partners provide both the policy challenge and experience with the real-world difficulties that make putting policy into practice difficult.
Supported by both academic and practitioner coaches who provide guidance and feedback, the student team develops a full policy solution and briefing for the partner.
|Team / Coach Compensation
|Summary of Findings
|Draft Policy Brief
|Final Presentations and Feedback