Course Selection

Students register for both the fall and winter terms first, before adding courses, by adding on Minerva, under Quick Add/Drop, the fall registration CRN of 179 and, after changing the term, the winter registration CRN of 190. 

You must register (and pay fees) annually up to and including the term of graduation, even if you submit your initial thesis. Enrolment Services will remove your registration, if not needed. For example, a graduate student registered in the Winter term who graduates in February will have their Winter registration and fees cancelled at the end of February.

Prior to course registration, all MA Students must meet with their supervisor to approve their course selection for the academic year. It is important to ensure that your course selection helps you meet all of your degree requirements

To see the course selection available for this year, please consult Minerva. 

Courses outside of the Institute

With the permission of the Institute, up to 6 credits could be taken in other departments at McGill or other institutions. After permission has been granted, students should fill out the Request for Registration/Course Changes Form to inform GPS of the arrangement. 

With the approval of your supervisor, courses taken with an IIS faculty member in other departments (e.g., History, Anthropology, Political Science) can count towards the coursework requirements in the same way as ISLA courses.

Note: in order to avoid over-specialization, no MA student will be allowed to take more than 6 credits worth of content courses (i.e., courses that are not primarily devoted to language instruction) with a single Institute professor.

To take a course at another university in Quebec, you will need to use the online Quebec Interuniversity Transfer system to apply for permission. You should have already discussed this with your supervisor and been given approval. Please advise the Student Affairs Coordinator of your plans.

Registration of a Graduate in an Undergraduate Course (below 500 level)

If you require an additional course at the undergraduate level (for example, a 400-level language course needed for research) you need to get permission from the home department, the GPD, and the GPS. Please fill out the relevant form on GPS' website.


Back to top