Graduate funding available in the Department of History and Classical Studies is awarded on a competitive basis to outstanding applicants. The department offers four years of funding to PhD candidates. We also have a limited number of recruitment awards, teaching assistantship positions, research assistance positions and departmental awards, listed below. Applicants to whom the department is able to offer financial assistance will be contacted.
Information concerning internal graduate and postdoctoral fellowships and awards at McGill University, as well as information regarding a selection of external fellowships, is available in the Graduate Fellowships and Awards Calendar, which may be accessed on the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) website.
- The Peter Cundill Fellowships in History at McGill (approximately $25,000)
- Daisy A. Latimer Memorial Prize in History ($1,500)
- Robert Vogel Memorial Award in History ($1,000)
- T. Palmer Howard, Q.C. Award in Canadian History ($2,000)
- The Foundation for the Advancement of Protestant Education Graduate Fellowship in History ($7,500)
- Louise Dechêne Prize in Canadian History ($500-$1,000)
- Gibson-Brydon/Nagy Travel Fund ($500)
McGill Fellowship in the History of Science, Medicine, and Technology in Collaboration with INGENIUM: Canada's Museums of Science and Innovation
A fellowship of a maximum of 3 months' duration. Selected candidates would be expected to live ( as much as possible) in Ottawa for the duration of the fellowship and to make substantial use of the museums' archival, library, and artifact collections. The fellow would also make at least one public presentation and participate in the museums' Connecting and Collecting blog.
Ian and Helgi Soutar Fund in Canadian-Scottish Studies
John Green-Armytage Travel Award
Research Assistantships and Scholarships
These awards and scholarships are offered through the Chair in Canadian-Scottish Studies.
Students who are eligible are strongly urged to apply in the year before applying to MA and PhD programs to the following competitions:
Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships