Events involving the sale or serving of alcohol

If your event is at any of these locations, please contact them directly: SSMU - University Centre (514)398-6803, Thomson House (514)398-3756, FACULTY CLUB -  (514)398-6390


To successfully host an event that serves alcohol on campus you must complete these steps. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the entire process.

Read below the grid for details on each step.

  1. Your student group or sponsored parent group must be recognized by McGill University with a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA)
  2. Your group or parent group has appropriate insurance covering alcohol related events.
  3. Make a formal request through our online booking form.
  4. After your request is accepted go to McGill Security to obtain and certify a Landlord Letter of Authorization
  5. Bring the certified letter to the specified local Police Station to obtain their approval.
  6. You may now apply for a Reunion Permit from Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ) (french only).
  7. Ensure the presence of "trained servers" from McGill's Server Training Program and adhere to the Educalcool guidelines.


Step 1

Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) and external entity status

You or your club/group must either be a member of a Student Association that has a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the University, or receive approval as an external entity from the Room bookings and Special Events office.

The following associations have historically maintained MOAs:

Arts Undergraduate Society

McGill Association of Continuing Education Students


Medical Students’ Society

Dental Students’ Society

Music Undergraduate Students’ Association

Education Undergraduate Society

Postgraduate Students’ Society

Engineering Undergraduate Society

Quebec Public Interest Research Group at McGill

Law Students’ Society

Science Undergraduate Society

Legal Information Clinic

Students’ Society of McGill University

Macdonald Campus Students’ Society

The Daily

Management Undergraduate Society

The Tribune


To apply for event booking as an external entity, please contact the room bookings and Special Events office:

  • For events relating to the downtown campus please contact Events Coordinator, Accommodations and Conference Services- Tel: (514)398-7687
  • For the Macdonald campus please contact Jackie Krebs, Tel: (514)398-8601

Step 2

Obtaining sponsorship and insurance for hosting of events with alcohol

Event organizers must receive sponsorship  from one of the Student Associations listed above and they are responsible for ensuring that appropriate insurance is in place that specifically covers hosted events where alcohol will be sold or served.

If they represent an unincorporated group or club, organizers must contact the appropriate member of their association or parent association to arrange for sponsorship and/or insurance.

Step 3

Events Booking System

Before proceeding to the Events Booking System you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agree to all of the terms and conditions outlined on this page, as well as those contained in all documents linked herein.

The link for the Booking system is found at the end of this page.

Step 4 & 5

Landlord Letter

  • The Landlord Letter of Authorization is a document issued by this department, once you have completed the online booking form. We will notify you once the letter is approved to make an appointment with McGill Security where you will pick up the letter and have them certify it.
  • With this certified letter in hand you will make an appointment with the local police department at 1432 Ste-Catherine West to obtain their approval. We will communicate to you this contact information.

Step 6

Reunion Permits from La Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ)

Your decision to select a hosting venue that is not permanently licensed means that:

  • Your proposed event will need to be authorized by obtaining a Reunion Permit by La Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ).
  • You must agree to abide by all of the rules and regulations set out by the RACJ.
  • Your proposed event date must be at least six(6) weeks from the time you start this application process. The primary reasons for this are:
    1. There is an internal approval process to host an event held on McGill property where alcohol will be served or sold.
    2. The RACJ requires that any application for a Reunion Permit must be received at their offices located here in Montreal at 1 Notre Dame Street East at least fifteen (15) days before the event date. Deadline for outdoor events applications is 45 days!
      Note: The prerequisite landlord’s approval letter must accompany any application request.
  • The RACJ charges a fee for the Permis de Reunion application. The responsibility to pay this fee falls on the student association.

The RACJ rules and regulations and submission deadline regarding Reunion Permits may be can be accessed here.

Step 7

Ensuring the presence of “Trained Servers”

"Trained Servers" are individuals who have successfully completed the Server Training Program offered through Healthy McGill. Organizers are responsible to ensure that all students serving alcohol have been Server Trained and agree to dutifully monitor the alcohol serving process for the duration of the entire event.

Registration for Server Training sessions occurs on the myInvolvement portal. Allow for one week between your Server Training and availability of your server badge.
If you have questions, trouble registering, or have lost your Server Training badge, please email the Server Training team at servertraining.stuserv [at]

Adherence to the Educalcool guidelines

Event organizers must be aware of and prepared to abide by the Educalcool guidelines relating to the responsible hosting of alcohol related events.

Proceed to Events Booking System

By proceeding to the Events Booking System you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to all of the terms and conditions outlined on this page, as well as those contained in all documents linked herein.

We are happy to launch our new online room and alcohol booking platform to serve you better.

>> I agree to the terms & conditions -proceed

Back to top