McGill Alcohol Permit Procedure

The objective of the policy is to ensure the responsible and safe use of alcohol on campus. In particular, it places full responsibility on both the servers of alcohol and sponsors of events, for the actions of those served, and for respecting University Policies and Provincial Laws. We encourage you to read the documents posted at the bottom of this page (the most important sections have been highlighted).

When planning an event on campus that involves serving or selling of alcohol, a McGill issued Alcohol Permit or a Landlord Letter from the McGill Alcohol Permits Administration Office is required.

Please select from one of the groups below:


New For Staff - McGill Alcohol Permit (MAP)

You only need a McGill Alcohol Permit if your event meets ALL of the following criteria:

  • Organized by a faculty or staff member
  • Serving alcohol (versus selling)
  • Is private (closed invitation list)
  • Less than 200 people in attendance

All applications for a McGill Alcohol Permit or a Landlord Letter shall be submitted online for approval.

Whether alcohol is served or sold at an event, The McGill University Alcohol House Rules must be posted visibly at the event location. A copy of the Alcohol House Rules can be printed here: Alcohol House Rules.


Alcohol Permits Administration manages McGill University’s liquor permits and ensures only duly authorized alcohol-related functions can take place on campus in accordance with permit regulations.


McGill Alcohol Permits Administration
Tel.: 514-398-7687
Fax: 514-398-4521
permits.residences [at]




Back to top