McGill University embraces equity and inclusion and is firmly committed to these values in carrying out all aspects of its academic mission.
- Promoting opportunities for access to, and success at, McGill for persons of diverse social identities and backgrounds.
- Implementing strategies to ensure that our student, faculty and staff populations, at all ranks and levels, reflect the diversity of the populations of Québec and Canada.
- Achieving representative census data, but also ensuring that those from underrepresented groups have full and fair opportunities to be considered for and to hold positions of leadership and responsibility, as well as academic recognition through prizes, awards, and fellowships.
The equity team at McGill is located in the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic). As such, we aim to ensure that equity is a key consideration in all decisions affecting academic life at McGill—whether this relates to student life, teaching and learning, or the appointment, tenure, and promotion of professors.
At the same time, the principles of equity and inclusiveness, which are core to McGill's mission, must guide all aspects of campus life. Accordingly, the equity team collaborates with many university offices—such as Research and Innovation, Human Resources, Campus Planning and Development—to ensure that our institutional equity commitments are woven through practices, policies, and priority-setting throughout the University.
We are proud of the steps McGill has taken to promote equity across our campuses; we are also steadfast in our commitment to ongoing work, growth and improvement.
There are four main strategies for equity work at McGill:
- Employment Equity → which seeks to ensure a diverse and representative McGill workforce, where all are fully supported in their efforts to flourish and succeed in their professional endeavours.
- Equity Education → which aims to enhance awareness and capacity in relation to equity principles, obligations, and best practices for ensuring a campus climate that is respectful and inclusive.
- Research Equity → working to build research environments marked by diversity and equality of opportunity for training, funding, grants and awards, and to ensure the equitable assessment of scholarship and of researchers throughout the University community.
- Preventing and Responding to Misconduct → committed to raising awareness about harassment, discrimination and sexual violence, the prevention of these harms, supporting those who’ve experienced such harms, and ensuring effective mechanisms for reporting and investigating complaints.
Have questions or suggestions? Reach out to angela.campbell [at] mcgill.ca.