The strength of the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences' PhD in Oral Health Sciences lies in the program’s unique approach to learning.
- Students are trained in numerous health-related fields and methodologies, which nourishes their own discipline-specific research and allows them to use new approaches to tackle health challenges and find new solutions to these problems.
- Students acquire the necessary skills to lead multi- and interdisciplinary research teams that combine and integrate disciplinary perspectives to address health-related issues after graduation.
- Students receive a high level of technical support and interact extensively with professors, post-doctoral fellows, research associates, and research assistants.
- Faculty members and students are involved in numerous interdisciplinary collaborations with other Centres of Excellence on campus.
- Faculty are leading experts in their fields and are dedicated to student success.
- Tenure-track faculty have more external research funding than any other Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences in Canada.
Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences graduates and PhD students look back….
"I see the unique and enriching experience that had propelled me towards a career in academia. McGill's Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences is an ideal environment for budding scholars looking to work with established researchers in diverse fields, ranging from bench-side basic sciences to clinical and community-based research. I was given the opportunity to lead my doctoral project with continuous guidance from my thesis supervisors, access to the most up-to-date academic resources, and support from a faculty that adopts advanced research methodologies and promotes interdisciplinary work and international collaborations. I conducted an international research project and was among the first graduate students in our faculty to use a mixed methods approach (quantitative and qualitative methodologies). Along with research experience, my doctoral studies advanced my scientific writing and teaching skills...but most-of-all it cultivated a sense of curiosity that molded me into a life-long learner"
-Nora Makansi, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences, McGill University
“It was a fantastic experience to pursue my Ph.D. in the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences at McGill University as an international dentist. The interaction and communication between the faculty member and students are harmonious. The research projects are well-funded, students have access to almost all the facilities and resources they need. There are many collaboration opportunities with other departments in the university. Even if we have a particular requirement for research, the faculty members are supportive to help us make it happen. Moreover, I enjoyed the lectures and research seminars a lot. I am grateful for all the happy memories in the faculty with my colleagues and friends.”
-Qiman Gao, BDS, MSc (OMFS), PhD
After graduating, former students have found work in academia, the government, the private sector, and in the health care system.