The Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) held its 7th Research Day on October 18 in the newly reopened Osler Auditorium at the Montreal General Hospital. The event showcased the work of residents and graduate students and fostered a spirit of academic excellence. OMFS Research Day is part of the Dr. Kenneth Bentley Lecture Series in OMFS, taking place during McGill's Homecoming week.
Ten abstracts were presented on topics that spanned the full spectrum of OMFS, from cutting-edge surgical techniques to the exploration of innovative technologies.
The keynote speaker was Dr. Miguel de Araújo Nobre, Director of the Research, Development and Education Department and Oral Hygiene Department at MALO Clinic in Lisbon, Portugal, and visiting Professor in Oral Pathology and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the Faculty of Medicine at University of Lisbon, whose lecture was entitled "All-on-4 - The Science of things". The lecture and resident/student presentations were followed by a tour of the state-of-the-art OMFS Clinic facilities at the Montreal General.
The OMFS Research Day day ended with a cocktail reception which concluded the event as a resounding success, celebrating research, innovation in the field of OMFS. The day would not have been possible without the generous support of Faculty donors.
OMFS Research Day presentation winners
1st Prize: Sabah Jalali “Enhancing Craniofacial Bone Regeneration using Blood Components”
2nd Prize: Sabah Oghazian “Ectopic generation of pre-vascularized skin-bone composite”
3rd Prize: Akshaya Upadhyay "Treatment of Salivary Gland Organotypic Tissue Culture Slices with Mesenchymal Stem Cell Conditioned Media Ameliorates Radiation Injury"
Full list of presentations
- Retentive Properties of TiN-coated Novaloc and Locator Overdenture Abutments
Eric Krochmalnek, Dana Jafarpour, Lei Wu, Damiano Pasini, Raphael Freitas de Souza
- Treatment of Salivary Gland Organotypic Tissue Culture Slices with Mesenchymal Stem Cell Conditioned Media Ameliorates Radiation Injury
Akshaya Upadhyay, Migmar Tsamchoe, Junzheng Peng, Jordan Gigliotti, Anthony Zeitouni, Haider Abo Sharkh, Michel El-Hakim, Peter Metrakos, Jiangping Wu,
Simon D. Tran
- Characterizing the inflammation around dental implants: Bacterial infection, hypersensitivity, or both?
Heba Madi, Jocelyne Feine, Nicholas Makhoul, Simon Tran, Giovanni Di Battista.
- A retrospective analysis of the safety and efficacy of McGill delayed extubation protocol vs tracheostomy after microvascular free tissue transfer in head and neck surgery
Han Min Miao, Nasser Al-Shahrani, Jordan Gigliotti, Amal Janati
- Bony changes in the mandible following injection of Botulinum Toxin (A): A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Mahmoud S. Moussa, Dona Bachour, and Svetlana V. Komarova
- Understanding the craniofacial abnormalities in the C19F variant and two models lacking the conserved functional residues of matrix Gla protein
Sultanah Alshahrani, Kyoungmi Bak, Ophélie Gourgas, Abhinav Parashar, Juliana Marulanda Geneviève Chiasson, and Monzur Murshed
- Risk of Head and Neck Cancer among Solid Organ Transplant Recipients: Administrative Linked Database Cohort.
Theerthika Dillibabu, Sreenath Madathil, Belinda Nicolau, Claudie Laprise
- Enhancing Craniofacial Bone Regeneration using Blood Components
Samar Jalali, Yassine Ouhaddi, Edward Harvey, Mirko Gilardino, Nicholas Makhoul, Jake Barralet
- Is Same-Day Discharge Safe for Outpatient Orthognathic Surgery? – A research Protocol
Ahmad M. AlAli, Amal Idrissi Janati, Jesse Ibanez, Jordan Gigliotti
- Ectopic generation of pre-vascularized skin-bone composite
Sabah Oghazian, Arturo Lasagabaster, Edward Harvey, Mirko Gilardno, Nicholas Makhoul, Jake Barralet