The following terms and conditions apply to all reservations at the Bellairs Research Institute (BRI).
- A minimum length of stay of three (3) nights applies to all reservations.
- Reservations are non-transferable to another person or group. A guest cannot hand over a room to third persons, even if the period for which the guest paid has not yet expired.
Arrival and departure
- Workshop registration forms must be completed and received at least one (1) month prior to the event.
- Check-in from 3:00 p.m. Check-out no later than 11:00 a.m.
- Early check-in is subject to room availability.
- Guests must check in during business hours. For check-ins outside business hours, arrangements must be made in advance with the Administration.
- Late check-out: Subject to availability, guests may request a late check-out. Check-out after 3:00 p.m. requires reservation of an additional night.
- Flight information must be provided to the Administration one (1) month prior to the event.
- Upon departure, guests must ensure that the doors and windows are closed and locked, that the room safe is empty and unlocked, and that they leave keys at the office or drop them in the key box.
- Payment may be made in cash, or by credit or debit card, in local currency BBD or US dollars.
- BRI requires credit card to hold all reservations.
- Any special billing requests need to be made at least four (4) days prior to departure.
- The room fee includes Wi-Fi, room safe, and use of the library, kitchenette, classrooms, and courtyard. Upon request, guests may also use the labs on the premises. Please contact the Administration for further information.
Health and safety
- McGill University's health and safety policies apply with respect to lab and chemical usage at BRI.
- McGill University's non-smoking policy applies to BRI. The only designated smoking areas are the parking lot and beach.
- The premises must be left in a reasonable state of cleanliness. Failure to do so will result in an additional housekeeping charge of $US50.
- Excessive noise is not permitted at any time. Please take note of quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
Security and access control
- Guests will be provided with an access code to open the property gates. The code must not be divulged to any third party.
- The charge for a lost key is $US25 per key.
- It is forbidden to make copies of keys.
- Non-registered guests are not permitted on the premises after midnight.
- Campfires, fireworks, and the burning of candles, incense or essential oils are strictly prohibited. Fines apply and offenders may be ejected from BRI without refund.
- BRI reserves the right to eject without refund any guest who threatens the safety or security of other guests or who is found to have engaged in repeated instances of inappropriate conduct.
- Meal service is only available for groups of 10 participants or more.
- Meal plan: The group organizer must select a meal plan for the group as a whole – it is not possible for the members of a group to have individually distinct meal plans.
- Confirmation: Group participants may opt in or out of their group's meal plan. A final confirmation of the number of participants opting in is required no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the scheduled date of arrival. No downward revision in numbers is possible beyond this time. However, extra participants can be added to a meal plan with a minimum of two (2) days' notice.
- Calculation of meal charges: Regardless of whether the meals in the selected plan are consumed or not, the total amount charged for meals will be calculated as the price for the selected meal plan multiplied by the total number of participants who opt in.
- Exceptions: Where a participant’s special dietary requirements cannot be accommodated or where a participant is staying off site, the BRI may, as an exception to the general rule, permit said participant to opt out of certain meals within their group’s plan without opting out of the plan as a whole. Any such opting out shall be applicable for that meal for the duration of the group’s stay – it cannot be applied to selected days only.
- Allergies: BRI cannot guarantee a completely allergen-free environment. Guests are advised to take all appropriate precautions to minimize their risk of exposure and to be prepared for possible emergencies.
Should a cancellation become necessary for any reason other than force majeure as described herein, both parties agree that the amounts listed below are a good faith estimate of the damages Bellairs Research Institute (BRI) would suffer as a result of cancellation of this agreement. If the workshop organizer cancels this agreement, the workshop organizer agrees to pay a cancellation charge to BRI, as liquidated damages, and not as a penalty.
Liquidated damages to BRI will be assessed according to the following sliding scale, which is based on when the cancellation occurs. The workshop organizer will pay monies owed to Bellairs Research Institute within thirty (30) days of the cancellation date. The cancellation must be in written form to BRI. No cancellation is effective unless received in writing by Bellairs Research Institute.
Note: If the BRI is able to sell the rooms otherwise, Bellairs will credit the room rent from the anticipated revenue.
Date of cancellation
|31-60 days prior to scheduled arrival date||50% of anticipated total revenue|
|16-30 days prior to scheduled arrival date||75% of anticipated total revenue|
|Less than 15 days prior to scheduled arrival date||100% of anticipated total revenue|
Bellairs Research Institute (BRI) is not liable for loss, theft, or damage to property or possessions belonging to the workshop organizer or participants including items left in guest rooms, meeting rooms, public areas or automobiles.
The client shall be liable to the Bellairs Research Institute of McGill University for any damage to property or any injury to persons, including death resulting therefrom, occasioned by the client, invitees or guests.
This Agreement will terminate without liability to either party if substantial performance of either party’s obligations is prevented by an unforeseeable cause reasonably beyond that party’s control. Such causes include, but are not limited to, acts of God, regulations, or orders of governmental authorities, fire, flood or explosion, war, disaster, civil disorder, curtailment of transportation facilities, or other emergency making it illegal or otherwise impossible to provide the facilities or the services or to hold the meeting; any delay in necessary and essential construction or renovation of buildings, strike, lockout, or work stoppage or other restraint of labor, either partial or general, from whatever cause.
The parties acknowledge and agree that this agreement shall be deemed a contract made under the laws of Barbados, and be construed and enforced in accordance with and governed by the law of Barbados.
If the above meets with your approval, please sign and return the original of your T&C below within 10 days of workshop confirmation. If a signed copy of this Agreement and the deposit (if required) are not returned by this date, the space being held on your behalf will be released for sale. The undersigned is a representative authorized to sign on behalf of the organization listed on the front page and to enter into this Agreement.